Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gobigblue

fishing with your dog

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

for those of you who take your dog fishing, how much actual fishing do you get in? i want to take my mutt out this year, he responds well to recall commands, leaves people alone as long as they ignore him and hates water so im not worried about him jumping in and swimming away. are you just bait fishing and putting him on a leash and staking him into the ground, or walking the beach plugging with a cord attached to your belt or something?

I had a dog I used to take fishing. I almost lost him when he found a tennis ball in the woods and I started throwing it in the river. The ball had a hole and sunk. My dog kept sticking his head under the water looking for it. Took me a while to convince him to come back to the shore. Another time, he followed some guy with a stringer of trout. :laugh:

I have a one track mind when i fish so i would not be able to watch after a pet at the same time. I would be too concerned about its safety to be able to enjoy myself. Try it, you never know...

My dog would be running all over the place if I take her with me. One time is enough for me.

thats what my wife does if i take her. last time i brought her bait fishing i asked her to stand by and watch the poles while i went back to the car for something. when i came back she was 50yds away talking to some old lebanese guy and my rod was about to be dragged into the drink.

I do a lot of fishing with my dog if you mean business then the dog should be up to the task. My dog is about 7 so she is old and well behaved. this is what i do. First when i get to my spot i give my dog a chance to run and poo and stuff. After that i use an old surfboard leash as her leash, once that is on it's time to fish. I bring my plug bag and a sand spike an spike her into the ground. She stays with the stuff and at night i use a glow stick on her collar and the leash. Some times i don't spike her, if your consistent with your routine your dog should pick up on what behavior is expected. You need to practice a couple times before you do it. I would say my dog is with me on 80% of my trips.

I've been taking my chocolate lab with me for at least 12 years now, she's a trooper and follows me on some ridiculous trails. She's not one of those crazy labs that jumps around in the water, just wades around in the shallows or swims a little bit. They seem to figure out the drill fairly fast as far as what kind of behavior is not okay while fishing, at least mine did. She did get swept down river once in some nasty current, i almost lost her and it was a pretty scary deal. I had waded off the point of an island and noticed she was swimming next to me, next second she was being swept away. The problem was instead of going to shore she kept trying to swim back to me( against the current), ended up retrieving her about a half mile downstream.

Sometimes. :D He gets bored, and doesn't like the boat bouncing around,but get in a blitz, where he can see birds and fish? He digs that. :)

boat dogs dont count!