Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Snelling help

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I'm having some trouble snelling my hooks. After I snell them, the knot is somehow loose. Whenever I push down on the leader towards the hook the snell slides down the shank of the hook. How can I prevent this?

You weren't kidding with the background noise, wow. I do it a bit differently, I know I have seen a better illustration, but I cannot find it. Here is a you tube video that shows it .

I have found 4 to 5 different ways to snell on this site and other places. They basically seem to end up with two snell types. One with a line that is over top of the snell when it is finished and one with all tucked under the wraps. I still haven't decided on one for all occasions and line sizes. Haven't messed with them for a month or so. I hope you get the help you need on this. First time I used my own snells one came apart. Good luck. I ll be watching too

Backround noise is annoying, and I wouldn't use a guide to put the hook through to hold it, but this is about as simple as it gets. Good luck!

Snell still sliding down the hook if I push the line

Using the method i posted above, I end up cinching down on both the tag and and the running line end before I slide it up to the eye of the hook. I make sure the knot is lined up correctly and slide it up to the eye. It takes a bit of work to get it there, pushing of the line would not move it.

Snelling a hook is easy but here is another flag you should watch out for. I snelled hooks in the past and had a lot of break offs down where the hook is secured with the line. The problem I found after doing some weight pressure tests was that certain manufacturers of hooks when they form the eye leaves a small sharp notch on the open end of the eye. This results in digging into whatever line you have tied onto that hook resulting in a break off which I have done with a vise where I fasten the hook securely into the vise and pull on the other end with a pair of either needle nose pliers where they are wrapped around the needle and pull until breaking point (if any) or I use a scale to test the breaking poundage. Be careful with these hooks and some guys drop some super glue around the void area of the sharp open end of the hook eye. The area is very small but when you seize up the snell you are right into the area where it will cut your line.

I just go with palomars now and had no problem. Quicker, stronger and easier.

I would think the snell would keep the hook more in line with the leader for a good hookset. With others it could double back on itself. Not sure if either has an advantage. I like the snells though. I have some made up ready to try again

Yeah, I think I'm just going to tie the hook in with an improved clinch or palomar knot. Are there any advantages of tying with a knot as opposed to snelling?

Probably not a big deal but you're taking the easy way out. Learn to snell a hook properly. People have posted a couple of links or do a web search. There are a million vids/pics out there. With a little effort you can find one that you like and is easy to understand.