Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperking70

Greatest Ever

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Mariano Rivera arrived at Yankees camp a day later than the rest of the Yankees' pitchers and catchers report and he said he has a decision about if he will report next year -- he's just not going to share that decision.

"I know now," Rivera told reporters (via ESPNNewYork.com). "I just don't want to tell you. I know now. I will let you guys know when I think I should tell you."

When? "I will tell you that in October, maybe," he said.

Rivera's age may now match his jersey number (42), but if he decides to hang them up after this season, chances are it's not just some kind of victory lap celebration. Even entering his 18th big-league season, Rivera is among the game's elite closers. Last season he finished with 44 saves and a 1.91 ERA in 64 games. He struck out 60 in 61 1/3 innings, while walking just eight batters. His WHIP was 0.89 last season and stands at 0.998 for his career. He also broke Trevor Hoffman's career saves record last season and now owns the all-time mark with 603 -- a number that should only grow this season (and maybe beyond).

Rivera is in the second year of a two-year, $30 million deal signed following the 2010 season.

"It is hard when you have the ability to continue and you have to make that decision," Rivera told reporters, including ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand. "It's hard. For me, baseball is not everything.

"There are a lot more things than baseball. I've been blessed. I've had a great career, but at the same time there are a lot of other things to do."

Iconic as a reliever, I know when we beat him it felt great.......

That wasn't very often, best wishes to him this year, would be a nobrainer for the hall of fame

As a life long Yankee fan, it's going to be sad watching Rivera retire and in a few years Jeter do the same. Rivera, the greatest reliever ever and Jeter, the greatest Yankee shortstop ever. Will be a long time before we Yankee fans get 2 class act players like them again.

He's money against the sox and almost forgot the diamondbacks also :D

You're right.:D

For his career against the Red Sox, Rivera is 12-7 with a 2.90 ERA, a WHIP of 1.217, 107 strikeouts, 32 walks and 52 saves (14 blown saves) in 105 games. Rivera has only pitched in more games against the Baltimore Orioles.

Rivera averages about seven appearances a year in the regular season against the Boston Red Sox, so that means he gets about six saves a year against them. Seeing how you have to win 10 games a year to win the season-series against the Red Sox, Rivera basically locks down more than half of what the Yankees need.