Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slip n slide

advice on a conventional

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Took a buddy out to the shore a couple months back and a lot of fish were very close in so distance was not an issue.Being as it was ,he used his conventional tackle,which he much prefers over his surf gear.Easier to cast/less tiresome? I dunno,I'm a flyfisherman.

Anyways,he wants me to build him a rod to use for this purpose w/ conventional gear for casting plugs,plastics and swim baits.He had some musky rods and a steelhead rod he used and liked the steelhead rod, an 8' MH for 17-25lb best for what he was doing but is looking to have something more purpose specific.He's got his reels loaded w/ 30lb braid and they are calcutta cte 300's.

I've built casting rods but always freshwater.Any blank recommendations? Preferrably under $200.I've always used mnsg and lnsg,anything different there? synthetic handles vs cork? Anything I'm forgetting or should consider? Thanks!

The GSB108 1L and the GSB 1081M build excellent 9 foot conventionals to match with a calcutta 400 or 6500 size ABU.

The XRA1083 also builds a wonderful rod, but is more fragile and has a lower top end than the GSB options.

If most of the stuff he is throwing is 1.5-4 oz go with the 1081M, 1-3 oz the 108L, and 1/2 to 2.5 (and the fish less than 25 lbs) consider the 1083 but be gentle (this blank is the nicest casting of the three but less powerful).

Of the three, I think the GSB1081M is the most versatile. I built a light one that I really liked using T-KWSG guides. It got closed in car door. If you want a layout, pm me.

I

I very much like the American Tackle Viper surf blanks; I especially think they make nice conventional surf rods. They're all nine feet long.

You didn't say what length you want, nor the size of the lures this guy is casting. Post more specific information and you'll get more specific suggestions.

OK,thanks,will do.

I'm not sure on weights...what's a 7" bomber weigh? He was throwing some 3/4-1 1/2oz jigheads w/ plastic too along w/ a few larger plugs.

I mentioned that he was using an 8' as a reference point but I think he'd be open to suggestions from folks more experienced.Seems 9' is popular.

Numbskull,you suggest the 400 instead of the 300 he's using? Any particular reason? Better balance for a 9'?

'preciate it guys....

If he wants a light 2 piece for that lure range (with plenty of guts to go higher and handle nice fish), definitely consider the Century Stealth 10' rod. It is a very nice blank although I've not cast one as a conventional. I think Saltheart has built some that way, however.