Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishaholic Ivan

Line and reel for sur 1448c/12' med-heavy

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have used a homemade magged Avet SX lefty and a Abu CT converted also homemade magged 6501 on mine. 20# mono on the Avet and 17# & 12# on the Abu. I like the Abu better.

327c4055.jpg

Thanks for answers.One more question.I have Shimano Calcutta 401TE,what I use with 8' rod.Can I use this reel(to small) ?

I prefer a non level wind reel for that rod, but that is a reel that will work with that rod, its about the same size as an Abu 6500 series reel.

It's an 8 + bait rod, take a guess.

It's still a valid question Ed - surely everyone fishing this rod isn't using the same reel and the same line - target species, conditions, distance needed - don't these things matter? You can't say a guy fishing bunker heads at a rocky inlet doesn't have different needs than a guy trying to launch a clam over the second bar, right? Whether or not the Calcutta is an appropriate reel or too small depends on those needs, don't it?

Heck, for all we know it's a casting competition rod...

Who is "We"? I'm familiar with the rod / blank. There is no for all "we" know here.

This is not the typical I have a xxx rod what reel do I need for it question to which you often will say the question can't be answered.

This is a pretty task specific rod and the poster asked "What LEFT HAND casting reel and line you can recommend".

I know why I answered what I did, because I would use either of the reels I listed to chuck a head + weight, a clam + or a 5 to 7 oz. Hopkins with the rod in question. And to that I'd add that I'd use the Abu with 12# line on it to toss weights for fun. I was answering the question asked.

I have the rod, and the reels that he asked about, and have used them. Can you offer any info on them or where you just asking a question?

Who is "We"? I'm familiar with the rod / blank. There is no for all "we" know here.

Ed, I never said or even suggested you're not familiar with the blank - I'm sure you are. "We" is you, me, and every one of the 50-something thousand members and millions of potential readers of this thread - none of us know what Ivan is using this rod for because he didn't tell us. Yes, "we" can probably assume, as you did, he's slinging bait like the stuff you mentioned, but what does it hurt to ask for a little more info, a little clarification? I'm not questioning or challenging your answer, but since you brought it up, what if Ivan said his intended use was to throw 5oz hopkins' with it - that would be pertinent information for someone suggesting a line and reel, wouldn't it? Is asking what he's using it for that much of an insult to you?

Can you offer any info on them or where you just asking a question?

I was asking a question that I hoped might help others to answer, more than the measly 3 people who replied by the time the thread was about to fall off the first page - like a value-added bump, if you will. :th:

Then I took a jab at my friend longcaster, and since then I've been defending my original question to you. :huh:

Sorry,I supose to explain it beter.I bought this rod,but I get it on Surfday 2/25.I think 401te will be too small for 12'rod(just like to hear your opinion).I'm spining surfcaster,but like to try casting combo,when bait fishing(clams/5-8oz or bunker head/5-8oz).I read some threats about casting reels and see open face Abu,Penn,Avet...will be good match with this rod.I just like to know from your experience what reel and mono works for you best.Thanks Ivan