Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rforrestal

Travel Tackle Kit for Hawaii

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So my dad is headed to Hawaii in about a week and we're having trouble figuring out what sorts of tackle might be useful to pack. He's got a light pole that breaks down for travel and a matched reel to bring. Should be suitable for smaller fish. But honestly neither of us can suss out what else would be useful to bring. Does anyone have a list of recommended gear to bring along for South Pacific fishing? What hooks sizes, line weights, leads, leeds, bobbers, ETC would be good to have on hand?

I tried screwing around on Hawaiian boards, and all I got was info on big game fish and charters. Obviously enough my Dad isn't going to carry tackle for the largest fish on the face of the planet in his carry on. As far as "Bone Fish" go I haven't hear of a place in the tropics (Pacific or Caribbean) that doesn't have a fish by that name.

Long story short all I'd like to see is some advice on general tackle for the south pacific. For a lot of people here, my self in particular, that's a very alien environment. I was hoping there were enough people on this board who travel; that maybe some one would have some specific guidelines on what to keep in my box. And be over all prepared day to day fishing.

I fished from land in Kauai a bit years ago.

I used a 7' rod with 15 lb line. This was good for throwing different sized castmasters.

Didn't have much luck though. Lost a few nice fish that I never saw and had cudas following.

The few guys I saw there throwing lures were using lighter gear and throwing small jigs- 1/8, 1/4 at the most with light colored curlytails.

Small kastmasters, as mentioned, are great for a variety of fish. I few years back I had a blast with small jacks, 'cuda's and some others that I couldn't identify using metal on a medium weight 7' outfit. The key, especially if ou are having follows, is to crank as fast as you can. You can't reel too fast for these fish and once I started really rippin it the action took of.

Good luck.

Went back to Hawaii(Oahu) in October for a reunion, didn't do any fishing but went to all my old spots. Dunking with live/fresh/cut baits with big surf gear still seems to rule. But, met a transplant from the east coast who almost exclusively fishes lures! top water poppers and castmaster tins. Like a lot of areas, did most of his fishing pre-dawn to an hour or two after sun up. Laie Pt is a favorite spot, but with a light travel outfit you have to fish away from the point and cliffs. At night, In the city, Waikiki, Ala Moana beaches, a lot of folks use a lighted floater with some cut bait on a leader to match the depth of the reef filled area. 3 to 5 feet leader with a split shot and a small #4/5 hook can get you some interesting reef species. During the day, just look for the locals and what they're doing.

RF,

No need to bring lots of stuff.

If you are just going to fish from the beach only a few things are needed.

A good all around outfit would be a rod 7' or 8 'long, and rated for 6-12 # line and 1/2 to 2 oz. weight. You can go a little heavier it that's your preference. I use salmon rods, inshore rods and surf rods, It depends on what I feel like carrying,

Any solid 2500 size spinning reel, or even if you prefer casting reels something similar to a Curado 200, will do.

Wit the above you can throw lures all day long, or spike it in the sand with a bell.

Go to one of the local tackle stores and ask them about lures/bait/terminal tackle. 3" or 4" curly tails, in black, white clear, firecracker, or a local one is called "kukai" (that means "sh**t" here) are always a good idea. Kastmasters are a solid choice or 4" swimmers ("rainbow trout" is a color choice for some), Bring your favorite lure from home and it might work here too.

For bait, squid (ika) cut in strips, or shrimp can be found cheap in any grocery store,

The best thing to do is to talk to the guys that are fishing on the beach. We have some extraordinary hospitable people here. They will go out of their way to help you. You might meet a real a**hole or two but that will be an exception. The last thing, carry everything of value with you. Druggies and thieves prow the roads and parking lots around the beach access areas and rental cars are prime targets.

If you google "Hawaii ulua" eventually you'll find a local forum that has discussions specific to your questions. (Hope that doesn't constitute rule-breaking).

DCS

Rforrestal also depends on what Island you will be going to. As DC Son says ask at a local tackle shop, they are usually very helpful. DC Also mentioned bait and that is correct too. Mostly small guys from shore but after dark look out, you could hook into something more substantial. Have fun and watch those waves!

With which in mind, keep the hell away from the windward side. Even with big surf tackle, you'll still be too close for safety. there are good reasons why you see the locals on cliff tops slidebaiting with two or three pounds of octopus or eel.

My suggestion would be ... go light. Very light. Bring a stash of 6 lb. mono and 8 lb. fluoro. 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 oz. jigs. Small curly tails are great. If he fly casts, bring plenty of small Crease flies - you won't find them on hand but small barracuda ("kaku") just love the hell out of them. They're slimy as hell, wear a glove to unhook. I wish I'd had some small black tubes to fish when I was there because there are a lot of itty bitty gobies of some sort, and if I get back with fly tackle I'll have a lot of short dark Clousers on jig hook heads.

The local fish like fast retrieves.

I gotta repeat the warning - TELL YOUR DAD TO BE CAREFUL!!! It doesn't take a big wave to knock someone down and get hurt real bad. Worse if you get knocked into the water. I see too many news reports of tourists getting into trouble and some not making it.

Hi, I went to Kauaii two years ago, I used lures with a 7 foot, pack spinning rod with a 4000 sized reel and 30 lb braid and I targeded ulua . Small ulua (GT) are called papio . Finding info about shore fishing in Hawaii I found to be difficult. If your going to dunk (fish bait) look for sandy spots you will loose every sinker you got otherwise. For lures 1/8 oz to 1/2 jig heads with curly tail grubs are good (Be sure to include black grubs) Kast masters are good as well. Topwater--- poppers , spooks and pencil poppers are great. The biggest problem I had was finding spots and time. I only had two hours and 3 days at sunrise each day to find spots and fish them. I did manage to catch 1 papio on a flourescent bomber spook which I was working as fast as humanly possible( working not reeling) at the time. Faster than pencil popper fast. They aren't kidding when experienced hawaiian fishing dudes reccommend fast movement of your lures for certain fish , look up whipping its a technique they use there. As far as a productive spot the area I caught the papio was spot where the reef ended that was near a point and deeper water. Fishing shallow protected (reef protection) water where I fished the first day was a bad Idea, at least for papio. Don't forget to include black lures in your lure selection. If I was going back I would include a small black popper and a chrome Striper Striker Popper. 3 1/2 " 3/4 oz or something similar. gotta go , good luck oh yeah, use bing maps to pre look for spots and a gps is real helpful.

Fishing shallow reef - light egg sinkers, 6-8lb test leaders, medium to large curlytails (black, green, clear with glitter), fast retrieve. Sandy shorelines - same rig as before with heavier leader and calamari STRIPS for bait or a "chunkin/soakin set-up. Deep reefs/ cliff fishing - 30-40lb main lines, 4-8oz leads with lead line LIGHTER than main line, 30-?lb hook leaders, fish belly, shrimp with shells, calamari, or octopus legs for bait. My suggestion................1st set up if staying on Oahu. Hope this helps a little.