Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cougar91

Big Jamaica patrons busted for illegal seabass & porgy

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

The word is that patrons from the Big Jamaica's offshore cod trip were met by NJF&G officers at the dock yesterday at 5pm and coolers full of 6lb seabass and 3lb porgies were confiscated and tickets handed out to offending patrons. Some of the fishermen even left the gears and coolers behind to avoid the fines and just took off in the cars. I almost went this trip. :shock:

Anyone has first-hand or second-hand info?

I wonder why the cars were flying out the lot yesterday.

What a shame, good thing I didn't hop on that boat, plus they left too early.

:D

Did you actually see that? When we/Paramount docked, I saw J2 pulling in, but didn't see the Big J, but maybe I wasn't paying attention because I was hosing down my gear with fresh water hose.

All I saw was cars and trucks rushing out of the lot very fast. I didn't see no one getting check cause I was putting my stuff away. I guess j2 will be in deep trouble.

So what happens to the Capt. and crew when this kind of stuff happens? They obviously know whats going on. Don't they tell the patrons that they can't keep fish if the season is closed? When the fares leave the coolers full of illegal fish on the boat, and if possession is 9/10ths of the law, then whose fish are they?

So what happens to the Capt. and crew when this kind of stuff happens? They obviously know whats going on. Don't they tell the patrons that they can't keep fish if the season is closed? When the fares leave the coolers full of illegal fish on the boat, and if possession is 9/10ths of the law, then whose fish are they?

Someone must have called the authorities..It may very well be the Captain....

When I was on the BigJ back in Dec, the captain did announce over the speaker/intercom what was allowed and what is not even before first anchor dropped, so I bet the boat did what they had to do legally. After that I guess it's up to the patrons to do what the rules/captain said, but really no way to enforce it until it gets back to the dock.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the future offshore cod trips on the BigJ and Gambler, etc, as the bite is obviously not there and if they keep running these trips.

When the fares leave the coolers full of illegal fish on the boat, and if possession is 9/10ths of the law, then whose fish are they?

See today's "lunch report" by NJDFG&W...almond crusted seabass and porgy oreganata.

Funny stuff...i have no idea. Its like when you get busted for having dope on you and tell the cop its not yours and you don't know how it got in your pocket. I think the capt/crew has an obligation to make the fares aware of the regs before a line is dropped, and i think most do that. Though, its not up to the them to "enforce" it. If they cut an illegal fish that's a different story. Its a good question if a fare abandons their illegal fish and gear, i wonder who it technically belongs to at that point. They took a dump and ran away...

Give them a year or two and we will all have to have a "cooler license" and your cooler will have to be marked with your name and license number.

If the crew doesn't clean any illegal fish they're in the clear.

Coolers full of sea bass and the captain does nothing? Please! These poachers flock to boats that do not enforce rules. I am sorry, but the Captain has the final word. What they are doing on his boat is illegal, and they allowed it to happen! Most captains say I can only announce the regs, not my job to enforce them. That is a joke! It is your boat, your word is law at sea. it is called poor leadership if your fares do not listen to what you say.