Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Cutting Glass

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

is it possible to cut a piece of glass that is wall to wall, I want to put a taller vanity in my bathroom but I have a mirror that goes wall to wall on top of the back splash, any way to cut it by leaving it in place?

A good*, new glass cutter, lubed with WD 40 or olive oil, affix a straight edge to the wall or mirror (low temp hot glue). Score the glass, remove guide. Warm up a flexible putty knife and loosen the adhesive just past the score line- you are trying to create a gap that the waste glass can bend then break into, an 1/8" ought to be enough.

*Craft stores generally have better cutters than hardware/lumber outfits.

:v:

I'm dying to hear how this goes. I've cut enough mirror just never glued to a wall. I think it can be done but you need to get the botton edge off the wall as gadwall said. I think you also need to slide something up under it just above and parallel to the score to snap it. Good luck. I've heard you can cut through the mastic with a piece of piano wire if you decide to take it down.

Suggestion. Consider affixing shim strips the thickness of the mirror to your vanity sides. THIS would be a lot simpler for me. This way you wouldn't have to take a chance on @#$$%%^^&& up the mirror or wall.