Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Spiral wraps with roller guides

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

First of a couple of questions inspired by looking at Al Goldberg's booth at the Freeport NYSF show.

Most of his rods were spiral wrapped. It occurs to me that I've never seen a spiral wrap that included roller guides. Is that possible? Do builders do that? Just wonderin'.

Ther are spiral roller guides made by All American rollers. CAptain Neil used them on a rod for Meiroqitz, when he was sleeping a fish hit his line, something went wrong and theline broke. So a lot of peoplle lost faith in them. This was a logn time ago, I was at teh West coast Rod Building Show in 2008, and that happened at least a year before that, so they've been around for about 6 or 7 years.

Interesting, and thank you. One of these days I guess I'll see a spiral wrap with rollers. If the objective is to minimize the tendency of a rod to twist under load, you'd expect to see spiral wraps, with roller guides, on big game rods, and I never have seen such a thing.

For trolling it seems a no-brainer. For partyboats, a little trickier. Still, a tuna rail rod with a spiral wrap and a few rollers at the tip would keep the line off the rail, and then presumably keep the rod from torque-related twisting; no such critter out there.

I will only charge a modest fee of one rail rod sized for tuna for whomever wants to build one, based upon my brilliant idea. :D Make mine 7' or 7 1/2'. :D: :D

Do a Google on 'Jim Racela Roller guides on Spiral wrapped fishing rods' and you'll see that they were developed and do work. They are commercially produced.

This is the same Jim Racela, aka Akuhed,, that coined the term 'acid wrap'. He said that whoever developed the spiral wrap must have been on acid. The name stuck, and a company even uses the name.

Now you know. C2

Brian,

I built a tuna rod years ago with the spiral roller guides that Billy wrote about. They have been around available about ten years. I have not had much calling for them. Most guys prefer SIC guides with the Acid wrap for stand up tuna fishing. They require minimum maintenance compared to roller guides.