Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Eli's ability to take a sack

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Something that I haven't seen discussed (I could've missed it easily enough) is how well Eli took sacks this year.

This is not a joke. Watching Eli's relaxation when he got sacked, in this post-season past, I was struck by how fluid and calm he was. Yes, he can move enough to extend a play, run adequately and so on, but when he got irretrievably caught, he'd go down without fighting it. He took sacks with the ease of a good judoka, relaxing and rolling through the impact. I think that's how he got through a couple of very rough games without injury. And I also think it's a learned skill; a pro knows when to just go with the flow, and thereby not get hurt. Somebody with more muscle, and the excess testosterone that they've all got at the start of their careers, would go down fighting and be rigid on impact with the earth, and that's when QBs get hurt. A big and perhaps more muscular guy, like Rothlisberger perhaps, would fight it too hard and merely delay the inevitable until a third and fourth body hit him.

My $0.02.

While not talked about in any great depth, it was alluded to somewhat after the Giants win over SF....and while not as much as in the SF game, NE was able to tap him a few times and he didn't get thrown out of his rhythm (you're right that no one mentioned that aspect of Eli's performance in the SB)