Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John B

Marine Surveyor in NJ

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a boat and am considering a used 23' center console. Can anyone recomend a marine surveyor they have used in NJ and had a good experience with?

I have experience with Dunk of Bluewater Marine Surveying.

Super knowledgeable and helpful, including follow up info.

Saved me $ on a mako cc I didn't buy several years ago.

Highly recommend you give Dunk a call to discuss your situation.

Just google Bluewater Marine Surveying to get contact info.

Patrick Dender is excellent. He has performed several surveys for my brother and I. I've recommended him to others that have had positive experiences also.

You can find him online easily.

Pretty much all surveyors are worthless! most dont even know what they are looking at! marine surveyors and weathermen are on the same scale when it comes to accuracy of the job with a success rate of about 7.5-10%

So who have you hired in the past, in NJ? Did you select a NAMS or SAMS certified surveyor? What type of boat did you survey? When was the survey done? Did you buy the boat you surveyed? Can you post results of a survey that you used to buy a faulty boat? Why such a negative opinion?

Not to much goes wrong with a Contender hull save your cash, get the motor checked out Compression test, lower unit etc. because even the best surveys dont do engines

So who have you hired in the past, in NJ? Did you select a NAMS or SAMS certified surveyor? What type of boat did you survey? When was the survey done? Did you buy the boat you surveyed? Can you post results of a survey that you used to buy a faulty boat? Why such a negative opinion?

I've dealt with alot of them since i've been in the marine business! And 9 times out of ten they miss things they should know and point out things that are irrelevant! Most of them think they know alot more than they actually do.

Pretty much all surveyors are worthless! most dont even know what they are looking at! marine surveyors and weathermen are on the same scale when it comes to accuracy of the job with a success rate of about 7.5-10%

I've dealt with alot of them since i've been in the marine business! And 9 times out of ten they miss things they should know and point out things that are irrelevant! Most of them think they know alot more than they actually do.

Guys,

I am not asking about the merits of a marine surveyor. If you would like to discuss that, please start a separate thread. I already know I want a marine surveyor to look at the boat I will eventually buy, and am looking for recommendations on who to use from people who have used one in the past.

Not to much goes wrong with a Contender hull save your cash, get the motor checked out Compression test, lower unit etc. because even the best surveys dont do engines

That's great, but I am not buying a contender. In fact, I haven't even seen one for sale, much less for sale in the size and price point I am looking at.

Thanks for the recommendations of Bluewater Marine Surveying and Patrick Dender. I will look into both of them. Any others?

Yep, Dunk's the Dude!

It wasn't just the report but all the answers to follow-up questions I had for over a year after he completed the survey. I was a first time buyer and made me feel very comfortable thru the process. Pete

I am also looking at a boat near Cape May and need a surveyor. I was going to post the same thread and you saved me the trouble.

Let me know how it goes with Dunk.

Thanks,

Tom