Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Ling Slinging Reports 2012

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Had 53 on the J2 yesterday. Think I was the high hook, catches averaged around 10-35 depending on the angler and where you were on the boat. It was completely railed probably pushing 70-80 guys. Coolers littered the deck and it was a ten minute ordeal to walk to the stern to get bait or take a piss. Couple cod but not many at all. Looks like that ain't gonna happen this year. Lots of dogs and pouts to deal with but the ling were there for the taking.

Was on the Paramount yesterday with FLH21 and his dad. Caught 129 lings ranging from 0.5 oz to 2.5 oz. Cut all of them up and put them into a tiny ziplock bag, should be enough for one bite during tomorrow's night's dinner. Oh yeah. :D

On a serious note, I find using Gulp shrimp by itself didn't catch great, and clam caught ok. But Gulp + clam together for some reason really nailed the bigger lings (by bigger I mean > 3oz, ha ha). Seriously, GULP+SMALL PIECE OF CLAM = BIGGER LINGS.

I will now be known as Ling91.

hit up the j2 today for the 12 hour trip with capt ss. started fishing around 630 and had ten ling within the first hour. Then that was it!. Bite stopped and the dogs and silver eels came on hard. Captain tried numerous spots and the mates worked their butts off. Not a bad day though, good times :D

hit up the j2 today for the 12 hour trip with capt ss. started fishing around 630 and had ten ling within the first hour. Then that was it!. Bite stopped and the dogs and silver eels came on hard. Captain tried numerous spots and the mates worked their butts off. Not a bad day though, good times :D

By 10AM I would have been faking a heart attack and waiting for the Coast Guard helicopter.

By 10AM I would have been faking a heart attack and waiting for the Coast Guard helicopter.

I can just picture this. :D

Hit the j2 again today for some ling action with about 20 other fares. Fishing was a steady pick for me throughout the day and we had to make a lot of shifts/moves. I ended up with 41 and two (would-be) keeper togs. The ling were a lot bigger than I've been seeing this year- a lot of nice pumpkin 2-3 pounders in the mix. Today you had to bounce your sinker like crazy or you didn't catch shyte. Some guys struggled a bit because it was a tougher bite today, you had to trigger the bites. Weather was great with a steady 10-15 to keep tight on the hooks. Pool was an ~8 lb. cod- the only cod on board. Trash fish weren't too bad- just a couple dogs, silvers, and pouts for me. It was a nice day all in all.

Left this morning around 5am to go out to the wrecks with a buddy of mine on his 22" boat. (Fast boat) fished for about 2 hrs and nothing, moved from wreck to wreck and couldn't find nothing.:mad:

After that we headed to one more wreck where we actually found life of ling. The bite was on for about 45 mins then it stop completely. Then we decided to go home, but he wanted to try one more wreck. At this point I was done, that's it I was frustrated and tired of fishing. So I took over the boat and he took care of the anchor. So I watch him fish and then , rod bend down all the way into the drink. The first thing that came in mind was he caught a dog fish. I was freaking wrong, the guy ended up reeling a nice 14lb cod, lucky bastage. :(

Left this morning around 5am to go out to the wrecks with a buddy of mine on his 22" boat. (Fast boat) fished for about 2 hrs and nothing, moved from wreck to wreck and couldn't find nothing.:mad:

After that we headed to one more wreck where we actually found life of ling. The bite was on for about 45 mins then it stop completely. Then we decided to go home, but he wanted to try one more wreck. At this point I was done, that's it I was frustrated and tired of fishing. So I took over the boat and he took care of the anchor. So I watch him fish and then , rod bend down all the way into the drink. The first thing that came in mind was he caught a dog fish. I was freaking wrong, the guy ended up reeling a nice 14lb cod, lucky bastage.

Jay was a happy camper yesterday. Hopefully we can all hit the wrecks this coming weeknd. :D

Fished this morning from 5:30 am-2:30pm w/fh21 and my buddy Chris on his boat. Ended up going offshore for ling,cod, and sharks. Pretty much fish 3/4 of the day catching ling, on one of those catches fh21 brings up a ling slowly from 200 feet of water and a shark follows it and gets hooked. The fight lasted only for 8 mins or so, broke off of course but it was a great experience for him. So at the end when we were putting our things away to come back home, my buddy saw a -mahimahi about ten feet from the boat and decided to throw a shad swimmer at it but couldn't hook up.

So we end up catching only 60 ling between 3 ppl, it was a slow day because my buddy depth/fish finder stop working before we hit the first wreck :mad:. So the pool winner was?

Fh21 with 30 ling

Buddy with 20 ling

Me, well I know you guys can add. :mad:

Fished this morning from 5:30 am-2:30pm w/fh21 and my buddy Chris on his boat. Ended up going offshore for ling,cod, and sharks. Pretty much fish 3/4 of the day catching ling, on one of those catches fh21 brings up a ling slowly from 200 feet of water and a shark follows it and gets hooked. The fight lasted only for 8 mins or so, broke off of course but it was a great experience for him. So at the end when we were putting our things away to come back home, my buddy saw a -mahimahi about ten feet from the boat and decided to throw a shad swimmer at it but couldn't hook up.

So we end up catching only 60 ling between 3 ppl, it was a slow day because my buddy depth/fish finder stop working before we hit the first wreck :mad:. So the pool winner was?

Fh21 with 30 ling

Buddy with 20 ling

Me, well I know you guys can add. :mad:

That would be Precisely 10.