Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

Into The Woods...

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon I took my dog for a hike at Bear Mt / Harriman State Park. Since it was about 2:30 -3:00... I intended to take this short loop, a little over 2 miles. Headed up a hill, felt really good (I had ridden the bike that morning) and I was able to run a good portion of it... I have a good feel for this area and didn't bring a map and since I was running and concentrating on the trail, I missed a trail marking. I realized it and was going to head back, when I found another trail--- decided to take it. I haven't been up here in a while and some things looked different due to last summer / fall's storm damage. I knew the direction that I needed to head (based upon the sun) and this trail was not doing that. I remembered that it would bend around and eventually hit Seven Lakes Drive, but it was getting dark & my dog was moving slower than usual.

I came upon a couple that was hiking from Bear Mt to Tuxedo Park (they took the bus from NYC to Bear and would take the train from Tuxedo back to the City). Their map confirmed where I thought that I was at ... Sun was setting... There was no way that they were getting out of the woods before dark (no flashlight).

I hit the road before nightfall. I drove down to the Ranger Station just to alert them about the couple (the husband had a cell phone with the Ranger's number)

The woods were gorgeous. Saw a large snake out on a rock (Spring is here).

Later, I learned a reason as to why my dog was moving slower than usual --- earlier that morning each of my kids took her on their runs (3.5 miles) --- they went separately... 7 miles for the dog, plus our hike.

7 miles, that's like 49 in dog miles right?:) I really love the woods and have started to get back out there. No snakes to worry about, just ticks for me. Wonder how that couple made out?

This thread was the second thing I saw this morning.

First was the water and a pelican.

It's 10:00 and I just woke up. I'm not doing anything today

You have too much energy for me right now

Two ticks on me.

We came upon road kill... A pretty fresh big dead doe. My dog stopped dead in her tracks. There was nothing I could do to convince her to walk past it. The dog that will chase the deer through the woods was terrified by the dead one. I actually had to pick her up and carry her!

This thread was the second thing I saw this morning.

First was the water and a pelican.

It's 10:00 and I just woke up. I'm not doing anything today

You have too much energy for me right now

This thread was the second thing I saw this morning ; first was the water and a pelican.

took the kids yesterday for hike up a local mtn. It was really nice....too bad for this time of year as usually we have to have snowshoes to hike it.

We need snow.. :(

i miss bear mountain. some real beautiful scenery in them parts.

Been there once when I was kid, don't remember anything, but I will take my kids prolly one day.

What kind of snake?

Not sure. Mostly black. 3 - 4 feet long 1 1/2 inches thick.

Today's run --- different place: saw fresh beaver activity & turkeys. Good run, yet I rolled my right foot yesterday & did it twice today. Time for new shoes, I guess. Ran the flats & the hills.

Today's run --- different place: saw fresh beaver activity & turkeys. Good run, yet I rolled my right foot yesterday & did it twice today. Time for new shoes, I guess. Ran the flats & the hills.

have you tried the "barefoot" style sneakers yet? I was thinking of getting a pair of merrills.

King snake, out sunning on the rock.