Putting up tomato sauce in mason jars

Rate this topic

MikeMc

Anybody ever do it? I'm looking for some convenience when I get home from work and not have to worry about taking the frozen sauce out of the freezer before I leave for work. I figure they sell it in the supermarket in jars so why couldn't I do the same. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I suggest you think about this in August and September. I mean, do you really want to can any tomatoes that are available now?? :wee:

Well, using crushed, canned tomato it doesn't much matter. ;) I'm just asking if it's possible and some tips on doing it. And I'm not looking to keep it for months on end. I'm looking for some convenience. I really don't ike freezing ut

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Well, using crushed, canned tomatoes it doesn't much matter. ;) I'm not looking to keep it for months on end. Just some convenience when I get home from work. Looking for advice on how to do it as I have never tried it before. DOo I put it in the jar hot or cold? Do I leave any air space? That kind of advice. I don't like freezing it and am looking for an alternative.

Well, using crushed, canned tomatoes it doesn't much matter. ;) I'm not looking to keep it for months on end. Just some convenience when I get home from work. Looking for advice on how to do it as I have never tried it before. DOo I put it in the jar hot or cold? Do I leave any air space? That kind of advice. I don't like freezing it and am looking for an alternative.

Head over to walmart and get Ball's Canning Book for $4.95.

If you were coming to the fling I'd loan you my 2nd set of canning stuff so you don't need to buy all the stuff at first to see if you think its worth your time.

Its something that has crossed my mind from time to time but its just as easy for me to go to Sams and buy like 9 jars at a time :laugh:

Well, I'm not 'buying 9 jars' of someone else's sauce. ;)

How long do you think it would last in the jar in the fridge without boiling the jars? I'm just looking for a little ease of use without freezing. Would it last, at the max, two weeks?

It's fairly simple.

Google Balls (on second thought maybe not)

Well...if you can get to the right website, it's fairly simple.

High acidity (tomato sauce) is easier than other stuff.

I have canned it, holds up fine. Usually freeze it now; some small containers, some large.

Microwaves kinda make this a non-issue.

powerless

How long do you think it would last in the jar in the fridge without boiling the jars? I'm just looking for a little ease of use without freezing. Would it last, at the max, two weeks?

It will last only as long as anything else in the fridge.

The canning process is just that...processing.

All of the steps are necessary to keep the product from spoiling...don't skip anything, clean and sterilize everything, watch your temperatures and times.

powerless

I should have read further than 'Google balls' :scared:

It will last only as long as anything else in the fridge.

What I was looking for. Thank you. Maybe I'll give the canning a shot.

Dunno how long the tomato stuff would last. I am still eating peaches from 2 years ago and there aint nothing wrong with them.

Quite honestly the amount of time I put into it just doesnt seem worth it anymore. It takes me close to a whole day to do 60lbs of peaches. I can only imagine tomato suace is more work.

Tomato sauce in the fridge will last at least two week (sans meat). A meat sauce will last about 10 days. A seafood sauce, depending on the seafood, perhaps a week.

As to canning, unless you buy a pressure canning, I wouldn't can sauce with meat or seafood in it. If you want to can plain tomato sauce, a regular large pot works fine and the canned sauce will keep on the shelf at least a year if not two provided you have sterilized and done the canning process correctly.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

its unwise to can/jar without doing the full heat treatment. although acidic, you are still creating an anaerobic environment, and not generating enough heat to destroy c.bot spores. c-bot poison is heat stable, so if those mfers grow, you are making someone sick/dead, no matter how hot they boil the sauce...

sure you will hear about people that 'do it all the time' and blah blah blah, whatever, its a gamble.

I can't imagine what is not convenient about frozen sauce, other than it takes up space in your freezer. i freeze in zip locks, i know exactly how much i use for a 2 person serving, sooo. convenient. you don't even need a microwave, just pop the frozen sauce into the pot and it is simmering by the time your pasta is done.... or i do nuke it if I am using it for something like pizza, or a chix parm...