Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ElSluggo

Changing spark plugs

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. Has anyone ever changed plugs, one side of engine doesn't look too bad but the other side looks like a lot of crap to remove to get to them. I'm trying to save some money doing it myself, I am not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined. Is this a job I can do myself? Thanks in advance.

Encourage don't discourage! :D It's a DIY forum. We ask questions here. ;) I did the plugs on my Ford, looked intimidating but I did it and got help on the ford forums. There are a few video's on youtube that will help. Here is one. Guy shows the tools you need and what is involved.

If those coils packs are anything like ford, you have to clean and use dielectric grease before reinserting over the plug. Sometimes it's seized out from copper/brass to steel chemical reaction and you have to yank with a pair of pliers and that boot can rip. Each one of the coils are 30 bucks or so for the Dodge. Hopefully all come out easy and it's just the plugs you need.

I would recommend to blast the area with compressed air so no debris falls into the cylinder chamber. Wait for the engine to cool completely before changing out the plugs. Take the negative cable off the battery and protect.

I would replace with what factory gave you. You'll have 16 with 8 coils. Each coil will operate two plugs. The extra 8 plugs I believe is for efficiency/ emissions.

5.7 V8 Hemi (2005-2008)

Mopar p/n SPRE14MCC4 (Champion 570)

(.045 gap, 16 plugs, tighten to 13 ft. lbs.*)

(*NOTE: The 5.7L V-8 is equipped with torque critical tapered design spark plugs. Do not exceed 15 ft. lbs. torque.)

It's nice to have but not a must to change out plugs. a 3/8" torque drive will cost from 50-80 bucks, 1/2" from 100-130 bucks.

I changed the plugs on my Tacoma this morning. Cost me $14 and took about 30 minutes.

1st gen or a 2nd gen? Gotta do the plugs on my 2nd gen in the next 10000 miles. Did them once already @ 30000.