Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lou T

Alan's ,arrangements aka " botch"

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I spoke to Bob today, one of Alan's good friends. Together we have been trying to understand and make sense of what is going on,as far as giving Alan & his dad a final send off to there resting place.So I went to his house where I was able to speak to his brother Jack.

Jack was very help full in telling me his dad John and Alan are still being preserved in a hospital

until they can find out what caused Alan's demise. Alan in case you don't know was only in his

four-ties.

Once the state is satisfied on Alan's demise, they will me cremated. Jack questioned me on giving his father and brother a proper send off to there final resting place.Not cast in stone as of yet, we discussed spreading there ashes at there favorite fishing holes.

Jack told me as soon as he knows anything he will call.At that time I will let you all know.

Alan had a passion for distance casting. As some of you might know, and a obsession to hit a buoy that sits out off the local fishing pier.I think it would be fitting and proper if we had a cast off to see if one of us could hit that buoy for Alan. I think Alan and John will be cheering us on.

It would be a nice gesture if all the members could keep this thread alive by posting to it until

they are laid to rest.

TIGHT LINES

Lou

Lou/Bob, I will be following this thread and will participate in anything planned for Alan. We have to do something for him and this proper send off is very touching. I know the spot you are talking about, he took me there a few times. It is also where we met for the 1st time when I sold him a reel on ebay. I cant take part in the casting thing since my shoulder is pretty messed up but I will be there nonetheless.

Mike

I can't help but think that all the loving comment's displayed on this site about Botch has had an impact on Botch's brother, probably convincing him to do the right thing and honor Botch and his Dad the way they should be.. After hearing about the possibility of his body going unclaimed, some of us (myself included) thought this was not going to end well. For Lou to drive over and have the gut's to meet with Jack and voice his concern's is really commendable .

Botch had a legion of concerned friends, and although this issue could of easily faded away, Lou, and Botch's other friends stayed on top of it to insure that this was just way to important, and anything other than a respectful and honorable send off just was not going to be good enough..:th:

I didn't know Alan but he sounds like the kind of guy I would have enjoyed meeting. I am really moved by the concern and actions taken by his SOL friends. You are all honoring Alan in a way that I can only hope I am honored when my time comes. There are times on SOL when petty squabbles or bickering seem to be common place but actions of unsolicited kindness and selflessness such as this more than make up for any such incidents.

I hope Alan is able to rest in peace in the knowledge that there are many folks working to ensure that he is afforded the respect, and dignity that he deserves.

Rest in Peace Alan.

Bob

Thank you Lou, Bob ,Vinny, Jack and to everyone else. This is truly the way our friend should be respected.

Thank you TimS for this wonderful site because it helped to make this happen.

I don't know how else to describe it, but you know that feeling you get when you give a big hug to someone you love and you just stay there hugging, , it's like the hug that wiped away all your bad feelings and put life back in your heart. Yeah one of those hugs.

Fernando

Alan and I dealt with each other several times while each of us was wrangling gear from each other. Enough times that we quit exchanging personal checks until the other had received something and felt it was useful to them. No, I never had the chance to speak with him directly although we had exchanged cell numbers. Typical guy fisherman...we'll talk later, we'll fish now.

I am not in a position to attend whatever gathering does shape up in his memory. I would humbly ask that respectful pictures and a short note on the procedure be posted in this thread.

Sad, sad day...

Dutch

thanks Lou for continuing to pursue this and giving us positive news on Alan's well deserved and respectful final rest intent. I was lucky enough to have shared entertaining & meaningful discussions with Alan and I look forward to the opportunity to participate in a closing event/ceremony to show my respect in his memory.

wow, i only spoke with Alan buying a reel, 5500CT, man that thing was in great shape. Iv bought an sold on here various times before, but i posted a WTB thread, he communicated that he wanted to sell me one of his distance (not fishing) reels if i swore to take care of it.

It felt great that he wanted to share a reel that he enjoyed with someone else. Just a great person.... That reel is one of the best I own.

God rest his soul.