BrianBM

WHAT a pretty rod Al Goldberg built

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I took Lorry Mangan & self to the NY Sportfishing Federation show in Freeport, heard Al lecture on fluke, and saw a rod that was eye-poppingly fancy at his booth. Abalone wraps above the reel seat and under the guides, a flocked cork (might not actually have been cork, but felt close) foregrip, and a titanium reel seat in a gunmetal color. WHAT a gorgeous rod, I'd be half apprehensive about taking it fishing. Blank was 7 1/2' and felt suitable for cod & East End blackfish. GORGEOUS blackfish set in an epoxy of some kind above the reel seat.

Damn, it was pretty. This was as close to being obscene as a rod can get. The blank at least might be within by own price bracket ... Al, what did you build that bit of rod art on?

Otherwise it was a normal quiet day. Spend a little money at the show (Haaaa, two Beachmaster Danny plugs, they're mine now!) and paid my LIBBA dues. Ogled the pretty girls at the Sea-Tow booth.

Wickedly gorgeous, it was.

Al had a bundle of rods with him. Some had an abalone finish; some in different kinds of snakeskin.They were all pretty, but this one rod was over-the-top gorgeous. All were spiral-wrapped, save the rods that were obviously meant for surfcasting.

The reel seat - I think he said it was titanium - was a handsome soft gunmetal grey color. Not quite shiny and polished, not quite matte finished either. I don't believe I've seen one that way before.

Titanium was, I thought, a material that doesn't lend itself to surface hardening. How does it hold up to the knicks and scratches that come with steady fishing use?

I just returned from Freeport. Thanks Brian, half the world came by my display to see the "Over-the-top" rod you posted about. Lots of ooo's and aaah's. No orders for that rod but lots of orders for others less "over-the-top". I am fried after the weekend. Thanks to everyone for stopping by to chat and say hello.

That's funny, because - as you see - the thread itself hasn't generated all that much by way of responsive posts. It's amusing that so many people read it.

I dragged Geoffrey Lawrence over from the Fisherman booth, and between the two of us we probably drooled on the reel seat. Hopefully it doesn't corrode.

That blank felt moderately fast, and I spent so much time admiring the cosmetics that I didn't really study the undecorated lengths of the blank too much. Who makes that blank? If it hadn't had that beautiful blackfish under epoxy (was it epoxy?) I'd've thought that it was optimized for bass jigging. And I liked the length a lot.

Since you're in the thread .... is there any advantage, other then the luxurious look of the thing, to a titanium reel seat? Was that titanium or just a titanium finish? Does it hold up to bangs and scratches well? I know the metal's insanely corrosion resistant but thought it was otherwise quite soft.

Anyway, a lovely piece of work there. :D

Pimped it was. Short of built - in neon lights and a sound system, it couldn't get pimpier, but I was awed anyway.

Excess is a matter of taste, of course. I'd rather have that rod than the most exotic hubcaps on the road .... and I might be afraid to take it fishing. It might get wet. Or plastered with clam slime, or crag guts, or my last lunch (this does happen sometimes.) :D

As a graduate thesis in rod art, as a demonstration of what can be done if the customer wants it, you'd be hard put to top it.

Contemplating that rod, and the rest of his spiral-wrapped inventory, inspires new questions that I will now post. ;)

The rod is built on a Calstar graphiter GFX800L blank trimmed to 71/2 feet. The reel seat is a machined aluminum Alps with a titanium finish and the guides are also from Alps. The "bling" was probably due to both the butt and guide wraps with Abalone inlays. This was my first try using abalone under the guides.

The rod was built for blackfish and stripers using no more than 10 ounces of lead. I built it to compare it to the Hurcules Lite that I built last year. The other rod that received a lot of attention was the CTS ES705 in yellow that I got from CTS at the Islandia show two weeks ago. I built it to have at Freeport since it makes a great ocean fluke rod capable of up to 8-10 ounces. Captain Neil built on the prototype last year and he has received raving reviews. I did get a order for the ES704.

The CTS has, I infer, a slower action then the trimmed Calstar?

Those 700 series blanks sure are beloved of anglers and rodbuilders. They seem to get cut, massaged and tweezed for everything short of flyrods and panfish.

CTS made a big hit on the surf scene this past year, however, some diehard surf rats were skeptical since the blanks were 2-piece. They also introduced a several different series of boat blanks both medium and fast action. This year they brought out the ES or Elite series boat blank that is more of a medium action but with lots of power in the butt section. They also introduced one piece surf blanks in their Vapor Trail series which several of my customers are anxious to get their hands on. One of the elite surf rod builder in the northeast I chatted with at the show field tested these blanks last year with great satisfaction so I am eager to start building on them. Brian, you have know me for almost thirty years and know well I am always on the quest for the "better mousetrap".

I do indeed. That's why I always call you when the itch for a new mousetrap overwhelms me. :D

I will wait for your comments on rods you've build on CTS rods, and on .. on .. darn. The blanks from the UK that Sea Isle Mike represents here.

Brain fade. Time for bed.

I do indeed. That's why I always call you when the itch for a new mousetrap overwhelms me. :D

I will wait for your comments on rods you've build on CTS rods, and on .. on .. darn. The blanks from the UK that Sea Isle Mike represents here.

Brain fade. Time for bed.

^ Century :D

The rod is built on a Calstar graphiter GFX800L blank trimmed to 71/2 feet. The reel seat is [u]a machined aluminum Alps[/u] with a titanium finish and the[u] guides are also from Alps[/u]. The "bling" was probably due to both the butt and guide wraps with Abalone inlays. This was my first try using abalone under the guides.

The rod was built for blackfish and stripers using no more than 10 ounces of lead. I built it to compare it to the Hurcules Lite that I built last year. The other rod that received a lot of attention was the CTS ES705 in yellow that I got from CTS at the Islandia show two weeks ago. I built it to have at Freeport since it makes a great ocean fluke rod capable of up to 8-10 ounces. Captain Neil built on the prototype last year and he has received raving reviews. I did get a order for the ES704.

I didn't see the rod but i'm sure it was beautiful. The thing that got my attention was your use of the Alps seat and guides, i know Khiem (lamiloomiland) likes and uses Alps seats and i prefer their guides on my inshore rods, love the S-6 (316) material. I think they are some of the nicest out there, to bad Alps doesn't draw the attention and concentrate on making more surf specific guide's. Their rod chuck is fantastic. :th::th:

CN,

I spent a lot of my time last year at the Kirkman show in NC checking out other manufacturers guides when Fuji dropped several models that have been a staple for me for many years. After looking over several manufacturer's models I chose the Alps 316's in both their base ceramic and zirconia models for inshore as well as surf. I was a Fuji high-frame user, both Hardloy and SIC, but both were discontinued and was not enamored with the K series surf from Fuji.