Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShakyMan

lack of winter

16 posts in this topic

hey everybody, i dont know what the weather is like by you guys but here in northern nj there has been pretty much no winter. snowed twice, didn't stick, no lake or pond near me has come close to freezing over. is this lack of winter going to affect fishing in the spring?

A lot will depend on the weather in March. If we don't get long stretches of sunny days, the water isn't going to warm as quickly and the mild winter will not have as much an effect as it could.

I am wondering if lakes that didn't freeze are going to turn over in the usual manner. That's not a good thing, as this could mean inhospitable, anoxic deep water that won't provide the usual haven for fish during the peak temperatures of summer.

In our clear lakes, the submerged vegetation is going to get a big head start without having to wait for the ice to melt. Should make for some dense weed beds by early summer.

I do anticipate an early start to the season. I am SO ready!

It’s been the same down south. I don’t think it will be much of a difference, but start checking in two weeks sooner than normal, or after a decent spell of warm spring, whichever comes first.

I don’t know if geographical location makes a difference, but super finesse plastics work super in early season as wells as winter for me. I find winter hard to find fish also, out of reach? I don’t know.

A lot will depend on the weather in March. If we don't get long stretches of sunny days, the water isn't going to warm as quickly and the mild winter will not have as much an effect as it could.

I am wondering if lakes that didn't freeze are going to turn over in the usual manner. That's not a good thing, as this could mean inhospitable, anoxic deep water that won't provide the usual haven for fish during the peak temperatures of summer.

In our clear lakes, the submerged vegetation is going to get a big head start without having to wait for the ice to melt. Should make for some dense weed beds by early summer.

I do anticipate an early start to the season. I am SO ready!

At around 55 degsF, the lakes turn over in the fall when the heavier colder water falls through the lighter warmer water creating the mixing you described. In the spring the lighter warmer water stays on top creating the thermocline, if the lake is deep enough for one to develop.

Nice to see an easy winter for a change......when I was a kid grewing up on the cape winters like this was the norm. Time to start hitting the trout ponds very soon!!.......

At around 55 degsF, the lakes turn over in the fall when the heavier colder water falls through the lighter warmer water creating the mixing you described. In the spring the lighter warmer water stays on top creating the thermocline, if the lake is deep enough for one to develop.

There is a spring turnover period, too. :read:

ponds arent frozen around boston ma either, whats a good 'lure' to use this time of year? i was throwin a texas jig today but got nothing. should i expect the bass to be down deep?

threw a white tube on a jighead today also, the problem is everything needs to be fished extremely slow but i cant help that think when i fish it slow theres no action so it leaves me in a dilemma :confused:

There is never one prescription. Here's one strategy that works for me in late winter and is fun to boot. Look for laydowns later in the day on the sunnier side. You'd be surprised at how shallow the bass will move even when it's chilly. Toss a jig in there. Smack a crank around in there.

There is never one prescription. Here's one strategy that works for me in late winter and is fun to boot. Look for laydowns later in the day on the sunnier side. You'd be surprised at how shallow the bass will move even when it's chilly. Toss a jig in there. Smack a crank around in there.

I will definitely try that :th: I read in another thread that the northern side of a lake warms fastest, that's pretty helpful info I think :D

Speaking from a river fishing point of view, warm winters always equaled great fishing for me. Lower mortality rate, more feeding, more growing. Can't comment on lakes.

I for one will be hitting it full force real soon.