Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captrichc

Help with popper from a boat

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hello all I have never really fished with poppers, swimmers, etc for bass prior to this up comming season. I now own my own charter business and I want to step up my own game. I am very familiar with baiting, live bait and bottom fishing but I want to give this extra option. So my question is.... What lures, jigs, swimmers, etc do I supply for my boat. Thanks to all in advance.

Thanks

(*edited - capt, we do not make deals like that :) TimS)

If you do not know how to fish a popper from a boat you do not have any business running a charter boat. Guiding requires you that you be able to safely and reliably put your customers on fish when no else can. This is a business that a select few work very hard to succeed in and it not fair to sports or other guides to offer your services when you cannot do this.

Sam

What a waste, one with knowledge would not help someone without. Help the guy out, what could it hurt, sounds like he's a friendly sharing person. I wish I could give you some insight, but am not a boat guy, wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Hopefully someone will help you out, maybe I'll learn something new, good luck.

If you do not know how to fish a popper from a boat you do not have any business running a charter boat. Guiding requires you that you be able to safely and reliably put your customers on fish when no else can. This is a business that a select few work very hard to succeed in and it not fair to sports or other guides to offer your services when you cannot do this.

Sam

Good thing most members here don't have this kind of attitude-SOL would not exist if it wasn't for a sharing of info. In any case, I also do not know about poppers from a boat- Sorry.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion but a new member is asking for some pointers on how to fish poppers from a boat, why can't anyone have something useful & positive to say? CaptRichC congrats on your new charter business, I've fished from boats but mainly with bait but if you wan't to accommodate your customers with plugs my advice would be to get Bombers 17A (swimmers), Kastmasters w/tubes (tins) and as for poppers I would go with Anco lures, they are very well made and won't hurt the pocket.

Carlos

Everybody's entitled to their opinion but a new member is asking for some pointers on how to fish poppers from a boat, why can't anyone have something useful & positive to say? CaptRichC congrats on your new charter business, I've fished from boats but mainly with bait but if you wan't to accommodate your customers with plugs my advice would be to get Bombers 17A (swimmers), Kastmasters w/tubes (tins) and as for poppers I would go with Anco lures, they are very well made and won't hurt the pocket.

Carlos

buddy there is a big picture here he is taking people out for money. he has a ( fish finder ) to be on top of the schools and now we are supposed to inform him on how to take all those 30 pounders out of the sea with lures, so he can go to the dock with them hanging off his commercial boat to get more customers to make more money nnnnnno thank you

If he wanted advice on how to fish a popper I would help out in a minute. My problem with the situation is this. Some family is going to save up their hard earned $$$ to pay for a fishing charter with a "guide". For some people this is a once in a lifetime experience because that is all they can afford.

Most of the individuals/families that get to go on a fishing charter as a once in a year/once in a lifetime experience do not have the resources to research guides and find out who is the best. If you hang out a shingle as captain ..... there is an expectation that you are an expert. If you do not know how to fish a popper you are not an expert. Frankly, I don't know how much time you could have spent on the water to not run something that demands having a popper thrown into it.

I am more than happy to help out novice anglers. I am not going to help novice angler sell themselves as "Captains" and take people's money to help cover a boat payment.

Sam

I do agree that there's irony in a charter captain that doesn't know how to fish a popper. My suggestion would be to get out there and figure it out before you take money from people for on the job training.

The old blue/white Atom popper would be a good one for a charter captain. Being plastic its cheaper and it will hold up over time. Super strikes also hold up and are great, but cost more. I probably wouldn't let charter clients donate wood plugs to the sea if I were a captain.

Hopefully you've got some appropriate light tackle to cast them on. GLoomis makes fantastic boat spin rods and I know several charter captains that use them. Star Rods would be a more economical choice.

:laugh:

Use your fish finder to make a bunch of beeps telling you where the fish are, then

just pop pop pop, pause.

I do agree that there's irony in a charter captain that doesn't know how to fish a popper. My suggestion would be to get out there and figure it out before you take money from people for on the job training.

This.

It's funny how terra firms anglers think that boat fishers can always see the bass with their fish finder. Sometimes you do if their stacked up, but most of the time you don't. What you do often see is the bait, not the predator. What I'm trying to say is that it's not as easy as you think it is - it takes time on the water to figure it out, same as it is for surf anglers.  The only reason it can look easy is due to the knowledge of the captain. 

As far as using poppers on a boat, it's probably less productive than in shallower water. It's not often that you can make a fish come up 20-30 feet to take your popper - most of the time you only catch blues. On the other hand, top water metal lip swimmers at night can be deadly around the right structure. 

It's funny how terra firms anglers think that boat fishers can always see the bass with their fish finder. Sometimes you do if their stacked up, but most of the time you don't. What you do often see is the bait, not the predator. What I'm trying to say is that it's not as easy as you think it is - it takes time on the water to figure it out, same as it is for surf anglers.  The only reason it can look easy is due to the knowledge of the captain. 

As far as using poppers on a boat, it's probably less productive than in shallower water. It's not often that you can make a fish come up 20-30 feet to take your popper - most of the time you only catch blues. On the other hand, top water metal lip swimmers at night can be deadly around the right structure. 

You have to admit it is easier to get on the fish and to be able to confirm that you are indeed on top of the fish with modern electronics. Of course there's skill involved.