Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ALhbg

More Corruption

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Is it any wonder that we distrust those who are supposed to be protecting the fisheries? Why aren't they spending the money to catch poachers?

Feds Went On Pleasure Cruises In Luxury Boat Bought With Fishing Fines

February 17, 2012 2:05 PM

BOSTON (AP) — New documents indicate a luxury undercover boat purchased with fines collected from fishermen was used by federal fishery police to visit restaurants and for high-speed “pleasure cruising.”

The documents were released Friday after a Freedom of Information Act request by U.S. Sen. Scott Brown’s office.

They’re part of the Inspector General of the U.S. Commerce Department’s audit on how the millions in fines paid by fishermen were used. The audit uncovered broad mismanagement.

The documents the Massachusetts Republican requested focus on how the $300,000 boat was used.

The investigation showed one agent took his wife and friends on boat trips to visit dockside restaurants near Washington’s Puget Sound and also used the boat for pleasure cruises.

I'm not one to break the law (nowadays) or not follow rules, but it's BS like this that makes me not want to buy a license. Why the hell should we have to pay to fish when the money is going to crap like this. All we read about are how this fishery is in jeopardy and that fishery is in jeopardy. There are so many ways this money could be spent on improvments. Pisses me off.

Is it any wonder that we distrust those who are supposed to be protecting the fisheries? Why aren't they spending the money to catch poachers?

BOSTON (AP) — New documents indicate a luxury undercover boat purchased with fines collected from fishermen was used by federal fishery police to visit restaurants and for high-speed “pleasure cruising.”

The documents were released Friday after a Freedom of Information Act request by U.S. Sen. Scott Brown’s office.

They’re part of the Inspector General of the U.S. Commerce Department’s audit on how the millions in fines paid by fishermen were used. The audit uncovered broad mismanagement.

The documents the Massachusetts Republican requested focus on how the $300,000 boat was used.

The investigation showed one agent took his wife and friends on boat trips to visit dockside restaurants near Washington’s Puget Sound and also used the boat for pleasure cruises.

This story has been around for a while now, it's not exactly new!

I'm not one to break the law (nowadays) or not follow rules, but it's BS like this that makes me not want to buy a license. Why the hell should we have to pay to fish when the money is going to crap like this. All we read about are how this fishery is in jeopardy and that fishery is in jeopardy. There are so many ways this money could be spent on improvments. Pisses me off.

Easy now, first of all it said the word FEDERAL, we pay the STATE OF MASS. for our licenses. Second of all the money used in the purchase of this vesselis from fines, not licenses sales! Thirdly, it's an election year don't you think all of the politicos are going to put on their white hads and ride around trying to impress the voters on how good they are and how much we need them. If that boat was indeed purchased it took more than one elected official to approve it's purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy now, first of all it said the word FEDERAL, we pay the STATE OF MASS. for our licenses. Second of all the money used in the purchase of this vesselis from fines, not licenses sales! Thirdly, it's an election year don't you think all of the politicos are going to put on their white hads and ride around trying to impress the voters on how good they are and how much we need them. If that boat was indeed purchased it took more than one elected official to approve it's purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for getting your point across!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right though, I did jump the gun after reading it. And I'm sure the Commonwealth of MA would never be involved in anything like this. That was a frustration post.

You're right though, I did jump the gun after reading it. And I'm sure the Commonwealth of MA would never be involved in anything like this. That was a frustration post.

:laugh:

I get frustrated on many issues myself, but that life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was growing up (for lack of a better phrase) my father was very and I mean very involved in small town and State level politics and I had my fill of it! I have no problem sorting out BS from facts and I also have no problem reminding our pulic servants who they work for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go easy on the punctuation or Brad W will get upset!

:laugh:

+1 :laugh::D

-bd

Nice Steve, that made me laugh out loud :laugh:

Its great that this has been uncovered. But what has been done about it? Is that the end of what we will hear? I think most situations like this end up going away and it just looks good for the politician that found it.

New????????????????? This happened back in 2010, like I said earlier "it's an election year"