Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stinky1

Any ideas for a DIY eva reamer

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Any ideas on how to ream eva grips? I've made grips a couple times now and I know there has to be an easier way..... at least easier than I have been doing it. Just set myself back a week when i was trying to ream the grips I just busted my butt to get the way I wanted them. I was using a dowel and I wrapped it with drywall screen and spun it with my drill to ream. Sometimes the screen would bundle up inside and then I fight to get the damn thing out! This time I ended up ruining the grip. The other thing it that I have a wood lathe and I have been turning the grips on a dowel which works but I think the dowel bounces with the chisels and is sometimes difficult to get a nice finish. I'm able to sand it but im thinking of taking a piece of copper pipe and putting a dowel through it to make it more rigid. Does this make sense???

The Flex Coat DIY Power Reamer is a great tool. I made 4 of them in a variety of sizes and tapers. I also made a couple which i epoxied onto the shank of a big screw driver so it has a good handle. I use them for finer work where power isn't needed. Great for prepping the inside of reel seats. I use them all the time.

I also highly suggest 16" Reverse Spade Bits. I made number of them from 1" down to 3/8". Just get an assortment em at the local hardware store (not exactly cheap but well worth it) and put an edge on the back side of the spade bit.  You put the material to be bored on to the shank then attached to drill and pull the reverse spade back through the material. Go about half way and then flip the material around and go the other half. This way both ends have a clean edge.