Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HDcycles

Holding the rod while chunking or bottom fishing?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

When I'm say fishing for tog. I have my spool locked my left hand is just ahead of the reel. I have my rod pretty much straight out with the line tight. I can feel every little bump or nibble. My friend on the the hand pretty much does the same but he puts his thumb on the line just before the spool. I feel like the takes away the sensitivity because any slack from moving around is just taken up your thumb on the line. Any of you guys do this? I tried it and it seems like a bad habit. Just wondering.

I think that touching the line will give you a better feel for what is going on at the other end of it.. Stick your hook into something solid, walk away and let out some line, shut your eyes and have a friend touch the line near the hook, See which is more sensitive, your hand on the grip of the rod, or your finger on the line.

Decide which way is best for you. ;)

Fished many Bass fishing tournaments, I know its not tog but I do the same for them, finger/thumb on the line. Your line moves your rod when you get a bite, its only natural you would feel it in the line first.