Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hamlet

Riddle me this: Why is the press so left-leaning?

Rate this topic

134 posts in this topic

It has been shown over and over that the press is extremely left slanted (despite their endless protests to the contrary... I give you Chris Matthews thrilled leg as exhibit 1).

One thing I cannot figure out... and I have pondered this and discussed it for years...

Why?

What advantage does it give these businesses to be so heavily slanted to one half the population?

Is it as simple as Dems have decided to "pay" the press with slush funds when they are in office and Repubs have not?

Where is the business smarts in being in the tank for the Demo party?

What "evolutionary" survival skill does it give these businesses to be 90% Democratic (as one survey showed in reporter voting habits)?

I think the press is "lefty" for the same reason universities are.

when you really know how things work, the "lefty" solutions are more viable.

educated people can't stand with empty right wing rhetoric.

It has been shown over and over that the press is extremely left slanted (despite their endless protests to the contrary... I give you Chris Matthews thrilled leg as exhibit 1).

One thing I cannot figure out... and I have pondered this and discussed it for years...

Why?

What advantage does it give these businesses to be so heavily slanted to one half the population?

Is it as simple as Dems have decided to "pay" the press with slush funds when they are in office and Repubs have not?

Where is the business smarts in being in the tank for the Demo party?

What "evolutionary" survival skill does it give these businesses to be 90% Democratic (as one survey showed in reporter voting habits)?

Everyone strives to do the least amount of work for the largest amount of money.

Sycophantic writing & thinking is the easy way out. As it causes folks to do less work, it will be more accepted.

Does a sponge work harder absorbing water, or being wrung out?

teaching is doing,

and some of the most important "doing" there is.

I am always amused that right wingers will simultaneously lament the quality of education in the US while holding teachers in utter contempt.

it's a tough job.

it's an important job.

Ya like wealth confiscation and redistribution and perpetual poverty. Those damn lefties are just so smart. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotcow? View Post

Ya like wealth confiscation and redistribution and perpetual poverty. Those damn lefties are just so smart. cwm27.gif

^^ the sort of rhetoric which does NOT play to educated people ^^

seriously Gotcow, this rhetoric exists ONLY to fire up the masses of people who vote against their own best interest.

The "press" fancies itself as part of the inteligencia that, along with the "progressive" politicians, see themselves as fit to run the lives of the masses, who if left to their own devices, will ruin everything.

:v:

I think the press is "lefty" for the same reason universities are.

educated people can't stand with empty right wing rhetoric.

Actually the students in the journalism schools are the bottom of the barrel intellectually on campuses. They are, however, easily indoctrinated.

Oh, the journalism schools and the education schools.

teaching is doing,

and some of the most important "doing" there is.

I am always amused that right wingers will simultaneously lament the quality of education in the US while holding teachers in utter contempt.

it's a tough job.

it's an important job.

And it's a poorly done job.

seriously Gotcow, this rhetoric exists ONLY to fire up the masses of people who vote against their own best interest.

Rhetoric is not the problem. The problem is policy and actions.

So you saying that wealth redistribution and perpetual poverty are in our best interests or that we are to stupid to know what's good for us.

How's that war on poverty workin out? Just a little move wealth redistribution and it's all better, right. :dismay:

The "press" fancies itself as part of the inteligencia that, along with the "progressive" politicians, see themselves as fit to run the lives of the masses, who if left to their own devices, will ruin everything.

:v:

I believe this, but it still does not answer why it is economically profitable as a business to be totally left.

I believe this, but it still does not answer why it is economically profitable as a business to be totally left.

because they perpetuate the myth to the masses that the government will and should provide for all the needs of it's citizens. how many papers would they sell if they were telling their readers to get off their butts and take care of themselves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamlet View Post

AGAIN,

you are looking at this from a business angle and making an assumption that BOTH politically philosophies have equal merit.

I'm saying you don't understand the results,

because your assumptions are flawed.

intelligent people who aren't super wealthy gravitate toward progressive ideology because it works, for them.

Rich people might gravitate toward Republican policies, because it works.... for them.

the masses of Republican voters need to get fired up emotionally to vote for something that doesn't work, for them.