Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Intervention Seafood

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Steve,

Have a seat. Let me start by saying -- We're here to help. We care. That's why we're here. We're all here. We all love and support you. So have a seat. kai??.

It's fish. OK? It has a flavor. Some fish have a strong taste. Some fish have a mild taste. The only thing they don't taste like is cheese. So we don't put cheese on seafood. OK?

Do you have anything to say?? We just want to help. We're here to help.

And there are TONS of CLASSIC recipes that use cheese on seafood.........

I'll just start with one:

Lobster Thermidor

So go argue with Julia, will ya.....:p

Steve, Steve, Why the angst? Bolds?? CAPS?? Here to helpsya. Feel the Love. Feel the purity of shellfish sans glop. Good we say. Good. Make an effort willya??

I call out Steve as much as anybody, and his generalization of the Boston area being limited as to its bread and pizza really chaps my arse, since he's been here so long and hasn't made the effort to broaden his horizons.

However, I will admit (and stick up for him) that I really like Romano cheese on a couple seafood dishes, including shrimp scampi and clams in a garlicy sauce over pasta, and I don't think there's is anything flaky about that.

Took the girl to a coal fired pizza place last night- owner was a large man, obviously Neapolitan after hearing his heavy dialect ...got a white clam pie...it was good even though it was chopped clams from a can. I was impressed and think i'm going to shuck some little necks and chop em up for the Fil to make me a pizza with the wheat dough. I wonder though if the fresh clams will hold too much liquid. :huh: Still against mixing cheese and sea food, some things you just don't mess with.

I've never made clam pie with fresh clams. I think that even little necks, whole, are going to be too big, and they are probably going to be chewy.

I'm interested to know how it turns out.

Lent is around the corner.

Pepe's white clam pizza, at least the one I got, was not whole little necks. They were coarsely chopped. They also weren't little balls of rubber. The crust is extremely thin and oven temps are so hot that I don't think it's baked very long, probably just a few minutes. I'm not sure if you can reproduce this in a normal home oven. Worth a shot though.

If. If I were to do this. I would chop the clams, let them drain in a colander, maybe blot them with paper towels and toss them in a little garlic infused evo. Then I would add them for the last 3-4 minutes.

If. If I were to do this. I would chop the clams, let them drain in a colander, maybe blot them with paper towels and toss them in a little garlic infused evo. Then I would add them for the last 3-4 minutes.

What he said ^.

And I don't wanna get into yet another cheese/seafood thing, but never understood why USUALLY a clam pizza is a white pizza. (And BTW even most white clam pies have cheese on them, so....) Why do you rarely see clams on pie with tomato sauce (cheese or not).

Other things would be mussels and squid, but with the squid you would need to be VERY careful not to overcook it, and probably toss it on the last minute or two.