Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

Student Loan Debt Forgiveness?! on its way , courtesy of the Obama Admin

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

It seems to me I have been hearing anecdotal evidence that many college admins are telling new students that Obama will soon have the fed.gov pay everybodys student loans?!

A niece and nephew in the process of looking at schools for next year, have been told by EVERY college they have looked into that for their parents to pay their way or use savings is NOT a good idea, that they should finance with as many student loans as they can get as the college admins have strong feelings student loan debt forgiveness is on the way.

Anybody here feel its' time the government did something about all the student loan debt that is out there, somehow clear it up?

More monetized debt, which Great Leader would just add to the deficit. Sadly, much of the great unwashed will buy it, not realizing that Congress will never sign off on it. What a fudging, but crafty, tool the Obamination is. It is 'progressive' vote buying at its finest. :kook:

Anybody here feel its' time the government did something about all the student loan debt that is out there, somehow clear it up?

Huh ? Clear it up ? What does that mean ?

The government, Department of Education to be specific, sets the rules for accreditation, in one sense if a school has too many students defaulting on student loans it is assumed that the education the student is receiving is insufficient to merit a decent job, and the school faces the possibility of losing accreditation.

While this has some merit it does not address a serious economic downturn, and the reality that there may not be enough jobs available for those graduating.

I know 3 people looking at schools right now and none have mentioned that. A quick search online only shows where some Gov student loans already are possible to be forgiven if criteria has been met, but its been that way for these specific loans for some time now.

Are your relatives trying to go to school in Chicago......lol

John

It seems to me I have been hearing anecdotal evidence that many college admins are telling new students that Obama will soon have the fed.gov pay everybodys student loans?!

A niece and nephew in the process of looking at schools for next year, have been told by EVERY college they have looked into that for their parents to pay their way or use savings is NOT a good idea, that they should finance with as many student loans as they can get as the college admins have strong feelings student loan debt forgiveness is on the way.

simply absurd from what I am told by a college president I am friends with and talked to just now-I asked (against my better judgement) since my niece is going to college next year -there are gov sponsored loans and people are trying to find a way to control surging college costs but debt forgiveness is not one of them

The students mentioned in the OP, are they applying to schools offering credit classes in Occupy?

This was one of the dumbest ideas espoused by the occupiers but if a college can offer a class in stupid why not make the degree free as well? You get what you pay for.

not at all the govt has no business there.......you take a loan you pay the loan......simple concept.

not at all the govt has no business there.......you take a loan you pay the loan......simple concept.

Agreed. Nobody held a gun to their head and made them take the loan.

I will say It is somewhat "predatory" the way colleges sell kids on the idea that having any degree they offer translates into a 100K job right out of school...... When the truth is 5% of the kids who graduate(the ones who didn't go for a liberal arts or business degree) are the ones who will get the good jobs and the rest will be stuck with a job they never would consider taking as it's below their degree........

John

Nobody held guns to the heads of defaulted mortgage borrowers either... and look at how the government is moving that debt around.

Sanity has nothing to do with the government actions... votes do. Political philosophies do, and our president is permanently stamped with the opinion that earners *must* morally be taken from so that non-earners can be handed to.

I know 3 people looking at schools right now and none have mentioned that. A quick search online only shows where some Gov student loans already are possible to be forgiven if criteria has been met, but its been that way for these specific loans for some time now.

Are your relatives trying to go to school in Chicago......lol

John

Ask your relatives to ask the question, to the bursar or fin aid office, see what they say, now I'm interested where this is coming from, It's probably 6 different schools.

It is a very simple concept, yet it looks like that is not the case in this country anymore. Sad.

What happens when the loan/borrower/banker system breaks down entirely?

Just how much debt can the .gov absorb from people who made bad decisions?

Stupid is supposed to hurt, but the .gov is looking to take that lesson away from the citizens in exchange for votes.

This sounds like the only good thing that would come out of the Nobama admin - I haven't paid my student loans for 2 years now, I'll hold out that this hopefully comes true..

Stupid is supposed to hurt, but the .gov is looking to take that lesson away from the citizens in exchange for votes.

This sounds like the only good thing that would come out of the Nobama admin - I haven't paid my student loans for 2 years now, I'll hold out that this hopefully comes true..

Looks like Obama has himself one vote right here.

All he needs is our money to buy it.

It is a very simple concept, yet it looks like that is not the case in this country anymore. Sad.

What happens when the loan/borrower/banker system breaks down entirely?

Just how much debt can the .gov absorb from people who made bad decisions?

It's not fair that some people are smart and others are stupid.

Let fairness be our touchstone and sharing wealth our goal.