Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Having opinions without being opinionated

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Well, I think we all need to agree not to contest the opines.

If we can do this, then we've made some progress.

If you're not sure, consult me and I'll guide you.

I think the milk dud is where they store the kindness, and now, well, it's gone.

Cooks can be very opinionated...Sometimes, cooks without skills can be very opinionated (hmmm...)

Chefs can be worse...real prima donnas. This is sometimes a good thing.

It's hard to run or work in a kitchen where there's not a clear hierarchy and a thesis... things tend to go to status quo. Can be the kiss of death in the business (see Gordan Ramsey, trying to fix some spiraling (usually even once vaunted ) establishment)

I have a good buddy who just celebrated (?) 13 years as an executive chef in a corporate/institutional environment (this after 20+ as a swinging richard, running very high profile kitchens. He was brought in to lend a different air and skill set...the ability to turn out cuisine for large groups. The apathy from the staff generally is stifling.He does have a cadre of good folks, but the powers keep siphoning them off.

Opinions can be expressed by the opinionated without denigrating or insulting the "other side."

He said...

Its all in the delivery of your opinion. For example, sim tossed a stone when he said in so many words, bluefish is better than pollack and those who don't appreciate bluefish are pansies...as he enjoys being the target of many and perhaps the ensuing fun, he essentially calls everyone that may not appreciate bluefish like him, a pansie. You throw stones expect them to be thrown back at you.

Funny you mention this, and also jr's post, as I just caught some of "Emeril's Table", and today his panel of guests are restaurant critics (all of them are very young, BTW.)

Opening the show, he asked each one of them whether they cooked or not, and the responses varied to "I'm just a beginner" to "I try to as much as I can to "No, I just eat out"...

And it going me pondering the question........can someone be a fair restaurant critic if they don't know how to cook?

I am not sure what my answer to that question is.....

On one hand, I think how can someone be a critic if they don't cook and have experienced the intricacies of bringing ingredients together.....

But on the other hand, people have tastes whether they cook or not, so...........