Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pick00l

Leverage, pressure and the difference between a short & longer rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hopefully, I am asking this question correctly. I'm trying to figure out if shorter rods put more pressure on fish than longer rods.

I'm sure it is more complex than this so let me explain a bit more. Also, in case it matters, lets say that we are talking fishing from a boat (In case there are differences).

I personally like fishing with a longer rod. Even in a boat I like 6'6 and 7' rods. My buddy always tells me that, that large of a rod can not put the same amount of pressure on a fish than a shorter rod. He has told me countless times to simply do a test with a scale and measure how many pounds of pressure you can apply with one compared to the other. The end result, the shorter rod can apply more pressure to the fish and therefore tire the fish faster.

Couple other thoughts here:

- I generally fish with lighter line.

- I like to play fish with a maximum bend in the rod at all times based upon the lb test line I am using. I seem to whoop fish pretty quickly doing this. Including tarpon on lighter gear. Never had a bout with Tuna yet.

- I'm not the winching type. When I fish with a shorter rod, that's what I feel I am doing. I feel I can't get a good bend in the rod to put proper pressure on the fish.

Is there more to the situation?

- Does more lbs of pressure at the scale, equate to getting the fish in quicker?

- Does it equal more pressure on the fish in a real world situation?

- Does the extra rod length and absorption properties count for anything?

- Does a longer rod only matter is the breaking strength of the line is less than the amount of pressure which can be applied?

- Is there a difference between leverage and pressure here?

I'm not really trying to debate this one. Simply learning from folks who know more. what do you think?

It all depends on the type of fishing you are doing. You can protect light line a little better on a limber rod like a noodle rod. On a shorter stout rod its more difficult to protect light line. It sounds like you enjoy fishing with lighter tackle. I'm curious as to what you think light tackle is as compared to your buddy. This would help us out more. What are you targeting and how are you fishing?

It all depends on the properties of the blank. If the rod is 9' long and like a broomstick. You'll blow your back out fishing vertically.

But if the top 4 feet sacrifice under load you're technically fighting with a 4-5 foot rod.

Which would be fairly comfortable.

The high end jig rods. Such as Black hole and Hearty Rise. Are around 5' in length give or take. Bend almost into the real seat. So you're basically pulling from the foregrip. This gives you an insane amount of leverage.

I'll never forget fartin around with a fast action 12' heaver from a bridge. I foul hooked a horseshoe crab. And ten minutes later I was wanted to shoot myself. As essentially I was pulling from the end of a 10 ' lever....If the rod had a parabolic action it wouldn't have been so bad. But such was not the case...LOL

Softer rods will cushion shock, help prevent slack line. Which is huge when fishing braid.

There are so many variables and different scenarios regarding this type of comparison, it would take quite a while to go into all of them. That being said, i recall more than a few of these comparisons on the difference's in fighting fish with a long rod vs short rod in the archives, and they go into much depth regarding, why a certain type is more advantageous to use and for what situations, and how to use each rod most effectively. Lot's of great stuff in the archives by knowledgeable people, but be warned you can spend hours, even days ,weeks

Decades........in there.:th::th:

EB - That makes sense. Nice illustration. Thank you.

cnn - I did figure there was a lot more to it. Prior to posting a did a search however, could likely change my search terms to get better results on past discussions.

scooby - Thanks for the reply. This is starting to make a bit more sense to me.

Chunk - He is an offshore trolling guy. Fishes for tuna and the like with line that is not going to break with pretty much as much pressure or leverage you can put on the gear. I know his rods are not over 6 foot. Likely shorter.

So,

- A shorter rod will put more leverage on a fish, OK.

- A fish has a mechanical advantage the longer the rod is. Basic principle, not considering fish type behavior, line type etc.

- When comparing say 80 lb test on a shorter rod or 80 lb test on a longer rod with the same reels, the shorter rod will put more pressure on a fish as long as the rod types are comparable

- What is considered enough leverage is debatable. As is what size rod is too big or too small.

- Something not talked about would be the persona fish fighting abilities, which once again is debatable.

Thanks everyone.

I look at it this way, if I were pulling a tree out of the ground where would I tie the rope? Top of the tree or the bottom of the tree? Now think of the tree as your rod.

Good example, as long as you realize you're the fish. :th: