Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hystyk1921

Penn reel for braided line

24 posts in this topic

Hello sol members i have a penn battle 5000 which i love. However, i am looking to try out some braided line and have heard that there can be a few issues with the battle wind knots/mono backing etc. My question is what other peel reel works well with braid(slammer,550ssg/ssm,sargus)?

Regards, joe

Joe,

Slammers, Conquer, SSM, SSG, are all braid ready. However so are the Battle's. Wind knots are not always due to the reel. Your technique or the rod could also contribute to wind knots. Also, you don't need mono backing on the Battle. Battle's have the Superline Spool which keeps the braid from slipping. My advice, spool up your Battle 5000 with 30 or 40lb braid and let us know how you make out.

Tony

I used a slammer all last year with braid.Tried a bunch of name brands.Fireline worked the best but I will be using a shimano this year.It was that bad.I would not recommend the slammer with braid.Had a friend buy one who has used braid for years with no trouble.He gave the slammer away after a month.Some may like them.Not me.

It's unfortunate you had such an unfortunate experience with the Slammers. Worse still you had to deal with braid issues as well. Not fun. At least you found something it sounds like you'll be happy with and that's the important thing in my opinion. Don't know if you've had a chance to try it much less have heard of it but you don't have to settle for a typical braid with your spinning tackle when you could enjoy something better like the Berkley Fused Fireline instead of the regular Fireline you used.

FYI. The original fused Fireline is very similar to the "Crystal" fused line which is an opaque white and is available in a greater variety of # tests (typically tests at a rating far greater than the package rating) and in a few more colors than the Crystal. It's very easy to work with regardless of the type of reel you use it with but you should enjoy it particularly so with a spinning reel. It's not quite as limp and "lifeless" as typical braid and is less likely to snag on your tip, cause birdsnests or windknots and casts extremely well and extremely far because it's a bit firmer. The first few hours you use it, you may get some guide noise as the line wears in but that should be the only negative you might have to deal with. Regardless, it rocks in my opinion and I think you will think so too. Give it a look see if you can, it's really worth your time and your buck.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimbaiter View Post

It's unfortunate you had such an unfortunate experience with the Slammers. Worse still you had to deal with braid issues as well. Not fun. At least you found something it sounds like you'll be happy with and that's the important thing in my opinion. Don't know if you've had a chance to try it much less have heard of it but you don't have to settle for a typical braid with your spinning tackle when you could enjoy something better like the Berkley Fused Fireline instead of the regular Fireline you used.

FYI. The original fused Fireline is very similar to the "Crystal" fused line which is an opaque white and is available in a greater variety of # tests (typically tests at a rating far greater than the package rating) and in a few more colors than the Crystal. It's very easy to work with regardless of the type of reel you use it with but you should enjoy it particularly so with a spinning reel. It's not quite as limp and "lifeless" as typical braid and is less likely to snag on your tip, cause birdsnests or windknots and casts extremely well and extremely far because it's a bit firmer. The first few hours you use it, you may get some guide noise as the line wears in but that should be the only negative you might have to deal with. Regardless, it rocks in my opinion and I think you will think so too. Give it a look see if you can, it's really worth your time and your buck.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tim

Thanks Tim.Just the mention of snagging guides makes me cringe.A week before I was leaving for the Vineyard derby I had one of those and it ripped three guides of my beloved Greenwater.It was too late to send it to Loomis and luckily my neighborhood tackle shop fixed it in time.Bought a new shimano fj 5000 and don't expect any problems this year.I won't give away the penn like my bud did but will assign it a back up position.Even with the braid problems last year I did have a great year with it catch wise.It does have a very good drag system.Thanks again..................................Just to add,when my bud brought the reel in to the tackle shop on the vineyard for the third time to complain about his braid issues,they laughed and told him,"what do you expect.it's a Penn".That said it all to me.The cats in there know their stuff IMO.

I used to use original Fireline on my Penn's (SSG's, SSM's, Slammers and Z's) Spectra type braids simply did not work reliably on these reels while casting plugs in the surf . Fireline as great as it was and still is to some extent just never gave me the flexibility in # test and cast-ability I was looking for. I loved Fireline but spectra is really where it's at these days. The reels need to be able to handle these lines and the penns do fall short in this category. The one exception may be the Conquer.

It's funny how guys have different results with the same equipment, you just never know.

I used my pair of 560 Slammers for a couple years with Braid without a single issue.

Probably a couple hundred fish, on three different rods with different guide types, two different brands of Braid, 90% in the dark, and they were flawless.

No knots, no tangles, no nothing, it just worked. Tried Fused too ( Fireline Crystal) and that was flawless as well.

Seems everyone has a different style, and what works for one, may not for another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hystyk1921 View Post

Hello sol members i have a penn battle 5000 which i love. However, i am looking to try out some braided line and have heard that there can be a few issues with the battle wind knots/mono backing etc. My question is what other peel reel works well with braid(slammer,550ssg/ssm,sargus)?

Regards, joe

I love my 650ssg and 550ssg penn spinners, loaded with 30lb braid for togging, but I'm moving onto casting style but will use the SSG's for bass/blues

I used Fireline on my Liveliner's for years without issues also , even as low as 10 pound. I have a couple of new 550ssg's that wrap line very poorly, and one of them started feeling rough after only two trips. That's my real beef with these reels, simple layout and easy as pie to maintain which is great ,but the line lay is just all over the place and the gears are very short lived.

The oscillation of my original Liveliner was acceptable and i was hoping the same or better with the SSG'S but anything other than mono is just a mess. Don't get me wrong i can cast with them but it's not nearly as effortless and trouble free as some others.

I still strongly prefer Dyneema based lines over Spectra. Spectra based lines have caused me fits on nearly every reel i have tried them with. There are quite a few lines out there that behave much different than Fireline that are Dyneema based .

Most wind knots are user error not the reel. If you fish braid like you would on a bailess reel grabbing the line with your index finger and closing the bail manually 95% of your wind knot issues will disappear .

Most wind knots are user error not the reel. If you fish braid like you would on a bailess reel grabbing the line with your index finger and closing the bail manually 95% of your wind knot issues will disappear .

I don't know who your response was directed to, but if it was my post, i never mentioned wind knot problems, i am talking basic line wrapping deficiencies. Even if spooled by machine there is always a slight gap at the top and bottom. This was discussed in depth in the main forum many times.

really like my battles/sargus's and they don't wrap braid bad but they do not wrap perfect.

are there any penn spinners that use the oscillating gear like on the stradics/sustains and other reelsthat wrap super?

really like my battles/sargus's and they don't wrap braid bad but they do not wrap perfect.

are there any penn spinners that use the oscillating gear like on the stradics/sustains and other reelsthat wrap super?

The Stradic's and Sustain's use a worm driven system which is the best. I think the Conquer comes closest to wrapping braid the best, excluding the Torque. It is not a worm driven system though. Most of Penns spinners use a perfectly round oscillating gear which doesn't offer the great results like you see on other reels. If they managed to fix that and make a more durable gear i would be thrilled.