Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

Chosin Reservoir

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Watching a striking documentary on the Chosin ...

-25 below zero.

A stampede of Chinamen coming over the ridge --- carnage.

Human wave...

Kill a hundred and another hundred would come.

A Marine talking about his friend dieing in his arms and then using his body as a sandbag... Using whatever, whoever he could to stack up as protection.

My knowledge of Korea came from watching MASH.

A friend dad live thru it and he never would talk about it, but once he found out i was joining the MARINES he actually told me to keep going to school and forget all that gung ho nonsense..

Once he knew i was going in no matter what then he changed his mind and would talk to me about things, even show me some gross pictures...

But you could tell it took alot out of him because of the way his voice crack when he was talking to me...he was a quiet big man but you knew he went thru some heavy **** :(

God bless those MARINES....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drako View Post

A friend dad live thru it and he never would talk about it, but once he found out i was joining the MARINES he actually told me to keep going to school and forget all that gung ho nonsense..

Once he knew i was going in no matter what then he changed his mind and would talk to me about things, even show me some gross pictures...

But you could tell it took alot out of him because of the way his voice crack when he was talking to me...he was a quiet big man but you knew he went thru some heavy **** frown.gif

God bless those MARINES....

Thankfully, most of us will never know the horror those guys faced. 

My uncle flew dustoff in VN, was a multi purple heart, POW, interviewing and taping him for the Congressional Library project changed my life, seriously. It wasn't easy for me, way harder for him. 

Survivor talking about being shot in the back and being spun around and coming nose to nose with a Chinese --- hitting him in the head and shooting him with an automatic weapon & then getting hit in the chest with mortar fire. He's put on a truck which gets blown up ... Ends up in a ditch. The Chinese walked along the ditch kicking people & shooting them if they made a noise. A guy next to him cries out mom & is shot ... This guy plays dead... As he is kicked a whistle blows and the Chinese disappear.

Another guy talks about being wounded and in a truck of wounded... Among many other trucks ... They were over run by the Chinese who started burning the trucks and the Marines and Soilders inside. His truck was o shot up... No gas to burn, so they climbed up and started shooting Marines in the head. This guy is shot in the head and lived. But when they started piling up bodies and realize that he's alive... Beaten to raw meat with gun butts... & survives

Another blown to pieces & being put on the dead truck and arguing with the Marines that he's still alive.

They found their way in... Got shoot up... Died & fought their way out.

-40 below zero... The dead frozen stiff... In order to pile them up--- snapping arms & legs just to fit them onto the truck.

A guy speaks of not being able to sleep to this day. Why me... Why them?

No sympathy for the Chinese army but sympathy for the individual soilders...

My neighbors uncle was at Chosin, Never spoke to anyone about it to this day. He hates anything to do with the far east, still considers China, Korea, Viet Nam, Japan, Taiwan etc the enemy.

not sure ive seen the netflix show Ill have to check it out, the history of the korean war is fascinating. my dad was there with the army (korea not chosin)

Raymond Davis won the MOH at Chosin, commanding a Marine Battalion. he led his men on a rescue mission to relieve a smaller unit. it involved an 8 mile march past surrounding chicom forces, climbing hills and icy trails in temperatures as much as 30 degrees below zero, his story is amazing

...a marine drew this picture of Davis leading the assault

My uncle was there when the Chinese came across the border.

He was shot and hit by gernades,he escaped by hiding among the dead.

He passed away last year still carrying shrapnel from the war.