Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcin85

eeling license?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I would be fishing my eeling traps in a tidal river where i dont even think the town would give out shellfish license a cause there definitely isnt any shellfish. Ive looked on mass fish and hunt for a recreational eeling license and commerical license but couldnt find either

Go talk to the clerk at the town hall in where you want to eel.They usually take care of this,permits etc.Start from there,ask ?? and hopefully you will be steered in the right direction.Good luck.

As far as rivers go Your rec. shellfish permit would cover you seaward of the first bridge that crosses the river........landward of that bridge you would be covered by your freshwater fishing license.......

As far as rivers go Your rec. shellfish permit would cover you seaward of the first bridge that crosses the river........landward of that bridge you would be covered by your freshwater fishing license.......

I don't think a shell fish liscence is going to help you in the Tauton River.Go with fresh water liscence like robc22 stated.

that makes sense to me because i drop in using my freshwater license, this is where never usually get them though i was told a trick to get them and hopefully in the next month or so my bait should be making it's way back around..:D

In my town of Mashpee, they do not allow commercial eeling by pot. Just 1 eel pot on a rec shellfish lic. Falmouth still allows comm eeling by pot but you need a comm shellfish lic. I believe the state allows the individual natural resource depts the right to manage the eel fishery. Whether or not the town chooses to do that is another thing. As far as inland boundaries, i am not sure if the town still maintains the right to govern the fishery. I am also unsure if they regulate catch limits with a spear.

I am also unsure if they regulate catch limits with a spear.

now there's a lost art. the old timers used to tell me about spearing through the ice in buttermilk bay. can't imagine how much work that must have been.

nice to see you on here Steve

now there's a lost art. the old timers used to tell me about spearing through the ice in buttermilk bay. can't imagine how much work that must have been.

Charlie Soares writes about spearing eels in his youth on the Tauton River, very interesting reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they were still doing it when I was a kid brad.....eel pond with its spring holes was a particularly favourite spot for those guys...when I was in high school one old timer caught a 8 pound striper while spearing the eel pond spring holes.....many folks think I am trying to pull there leg when I tell them such a fishery existed.....I don't even try to explain bullraking through the ice.............

I have a nice spear and have tried a few times without any luck. We havent had any ice to speak of but if there are any you should be able to spear them from a boat. Hey brad, its good to hear from you too. drove by your station a couple days ago but couldnt stop. Hope to bump into you you-know-where say around june.