Okuma Solaris

Rate this topic

GCast167

Their customer service is good. The problem is that I needed it. I snapped a 12' Okuma Solaris just above the ferule casting 6oz and bloodworms. The rod has a good feel though. Maybe I got one with a bubble in the blank, but this experience sounds pretty common.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 11ft surf rod., following were the problems I encountered.

aa) The top half snapped between the first and second guide, while pulling in a 37.5 bass in october of '05 but I repaired it with a ferrule and epoxy works fine, I believe it was my fault maybe I should have returned it.

bb) on the same rod a few weeks later ,the reel seat got loose and was spinning. I sent them the lower half, they sent me a new complete rod

cc) the new rod they sent, the lower half , had a problem, the reel seat and guide were not aligned so they sent me a second lower half, and they did not want the misaligned lower half returned , so I kept it and for $25 i had the guide removed and re aligned.

dd) in the end I wound up with an extra rod, so, I now have 2 okuma solaris.

ee) I also have a Tica 11ft much lighter tha the Okuma solaris

I had the 10' rod. It lasted one season until the top half flew out of the ferrul snapping the line.mad.gif Bought a St Croix for $100 after that. It may have been my fault; maybe I didn't push it in hard enough. It was a good rod though.

So many fish in the ocean, but only one so dear to my heart. My wife ofcourse!

I had the 10' rod. It lasted one season until the top half flew out of the ferrul snapping the line.mad.gif Bought a St Croix for $100 after that. It may have been my fault; maybe I didn't push it in hard enough. It was a good rod though.

Funny, i dont think its your fault at all , was fishing in the bay on the ledge for small night stripers, I know i put that damn top piece in 100 % in, because it came out on me everyday. Tried to get a nice cast in THE TOP FELL OF into the water. Also breaking my line, never got it back and didnt wanna bother. stay away , doesnt cast well either . Go with tica or for 60 extra bux get a lami.

Iheart.gif my 10' Okuma Solaris! I compared that to my friends Tica and Tsunami rod of the same size. I know there are a few problems with each brand of rods. I got lucky. I fought with a 40+ lbs cow ray last summer on that rod. No problem with it!

My brother has a 9' and the top section broke when he try to throw out a whole adult bunker. It was his fault but the rep from Okuma didnt really care what happened so they asked him to send a $10 money order and send the shortest piece back in a tube. Okuma sent him back a brand new piece top section. No problem from that day on. No brand of rod made of graphite can withstand abuse or powerful cast. Okuma have not been making rods like Lamiglas or other big name company. Okuma now makes some very nice saltwater reel like the Okuma Alumina. For under $80, I got a good chunking rod-I am talking about my 10' Solaris.

Making the world safe for bait, one bluefish at a time!

Recently like last month I was casting with a buddy and the top portion of the Tica flew off. Apparently I was chatting away with another fella and the line had wrapped around the tip. The line broke and the top was floating in the water. I got the tip back after I snagged it with a bunker snagger. It was my error.

What I would like to know has the problems with the Okuma surf rods been resolved. Recently another fishing buddy of mine purchased a 11' or 12' rod and after reading through the replies I would like to know if there was signs of stress cracks or fatigue at the ferule or the 3rd guide back.

Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown

What I would like to know has the problems with the Okuma surf rods been resolved. Recently another fishing buddy of mine purchased a 11' or 12' rod and after reading through the replies I would like to know if there was signs of stress cracks or fatigue at the ferule or the 3rd guide back.

I went over the rod before use, and nothing out of line was noticed, i.e. no cracks, or scratches. It simply (((SNAPPED))) in use, no fancy cast involved, slinging 4 oz's of lead (rated 2-6). Below is a link explaining why I think it broke:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...hlight=sealine

The walls of the rod at the joint are paper thin, and of uneven thickness... Seems just the right recipe for disaster. IMO, Okuma built a super budget rod with all Fuji guides, and Fuji reel seat, but skimped big-time on the rod blank and QC. Pretty hard to get all quality parts/decent finish with a rod that sells for $55.

I have a 12' Solaris, and other than less than careful QC on the wraps, it ain't broken yet and is rather light and powerful.

Good luck,

SS

I dunno RISOCO, a lot of TICA owners are very familiar with the phrase "popped guide inserts".

Sure it's better than a broken blank, but a nagging problem well known enough to cast a bad shadow. Perhaps the new Dolphin models with Fuji guides will wash the stigma away.

SS

I went over the rod before use, and nothing out of line was noticed, i.e. no cracks, or scratches. It simply (((SNAPPED))) in use, no fancy cast involved, slinging 4 oz's of lead (rated 2-6). Below is a link explaining why I think it broke:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...hlight=sealine

The walls of the rod at the joint are paper thin, and of uneven thickness... Seems just the right recipe for disaster. IMO, Okuma built a super budget rod with all Fuji guides, and Fuji reel seat, but skimped big-time on the rod blank and QC. Pretty hard to get all quality parts/decent finish with a rod that sells for $55.

I saw the photo that you attached in your link and appears to be broken at the male part of the ferule. I guess there is not much one can do and I will keep my lips mum if his rod breaks cwm40.gif

Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown

• 2 months later...