Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GCast167

Okuma Solaris

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of this rod for surf casting? I think its a 10ft, I like it and the price seems right to. Just wondering how it compares to others and for $80 is it worth it?

Wish I had a better experience with my 9 foot conventional. Below is my brand new Solaris after 5 casts using 4 oz's. The rod is rated 2-6.

DCP_3056.JPG

I have read on other surf fishing boards of similar catastrophic Solaris failures, so IMO they are a NO-GO.

Myself and many others have had very good success with Daiwa Sealine-X rods that cost less and perform exceptionally well.

Good luck,

SS

My 9' 2 piece broke on the first cast with 1.5oz Castmaster. The rod was rated 1-4oz. The sad part was that I knew about the defects but figured that since it was some time ago, the problem must have been addressed. frown.gif

At one point i had about half dozen of them, most 12', but love them and only one had a problem that the butt cap tore off. I know a couple people who have had them and either broke at the ferrule or what not but Silstar replaced theirs and mine ZERO questions asked, and most cases let you keep the broken one. I have seen the broken ones but the ones i fish are great by me. I am sure some problems not all are caused by user error, i know i have broken a couple rods from my stupidity. Good Luck

I had the 9 foot spinner rated 1-4 as a jetty rod for a few weeks, then replaced it for a conventional triflex. It was stiff but soild, could punch out jigs in a stiff wind and haul up 5-7# blues and schoolies up the rocks.

have 3 of em 2-12ft and 1 10ft,never a problem and regularly throw 8 oz or better (changed 1 12 to conv and throw it a loooonnng way, also had a bunch of diawa's and snapped a couple of them, but how they get used and abused I dont blame them, I fish alot of snotty water and if I gotta pull out the really heavy stuff have old 12 ft fenwick big surf sticks in conv, 700 calcutta and a 300 tica, 8 or 12 oz's and a 3/4 bunker past the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The shop I work for sell them, and lots of them at that, awesome value! I have not heard of one breaking or one coming back, the only damage Ive seen is from shipping. I have the 8 footer myself, and Like it a lot... Though for the money (or a wee bit more) I would go with the Tsunamis which we also carry, I have the 10 foot conventional in the trophy series matched to a Garcia 7000 C-3, spooled with 80lb power pro, It is a killer set-up for Jetty fishing. looks bad-ass with the carbon fiber overlay as well and can haul up to 8 oz with barely a bend!

I've made around 1,000 casts with my 12' conventional Okuma Solaris Surf rod. I used it to cast spoons yesterday and I think it'll work out great this year. It's light and seems to be pretty strong.