Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaotico

Tying a Bucktail

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Tying off a completed bucktail ends with coating the wrap with Devcon 2 ton epoxy..u can use the 5 minute and hope it doesn't yellow up in a year or use the 30l minute and will stay clear indefinitely.Usually put on a spinner to dry to avoid drippsge...check the fly tying forum too :-)

If you are just starting out, I would just use clear nail polish. Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails is a popular brand, but others should work as well. You can always go back and epoxy them later if they turn out well.

Yup nailpolish..... the epoxy is completely unnecessary in my opinion. Just use good thread ( I would recommend danvelle's waxed coated nylon) and two coats of nail polish which you can air dry by blowing on it.

Trust me the bass are not looking at a bucktail long enough to see the yellowing epoxy on the threads!

I like to use some superglue because it penetrates the wraps and really holds everything together. Then I coat the top with Hard as Nails to give it a more smooth finish.

I like to use some superglue because it penetrates the wraps and really holds everything together. Then I coat the top with Hard as Nails to give it a more smooth finish.

Real good advice here!

Use Zap-A-Gap CA glue (pink label) on the threads. It is a thin glue and will penetrate between the threads and lock the hair in place. That is all you really need to fish it. If you want a more professional look, follow up with clear (or colored) nail polish to give it some shine.

Two coats of Minwax Polycrylic clear coating. Been using it for a few years now. I have used the same 3/8 x 1/4 oz. tandem bucktails on the pier flounder fishing all day, and no issues with them falling apart.

If you are doing a lot of jigs, zap a gap can get really expensive.

The sally hansen hard as nails will work also, know many that use that w/o any issues.

if your worried about penetration...after you put a bunch of thread turns on the hook put the hard as nails on the hook threads....as you put the hair on and start to tie the hard as nails  holds it a little as you are tying and you have some hold from the inside out...it holds the hair real good because it seeps from the inside out...then just finish the out side with the haley.....good fishing

Hey guys I noticed that nobody mentioned head cement here. I just started tying bucktaiks and dressed hooks a couple weeks ago. My father in law got me started on it since he ties all his jigs himself, mainly for smallmouth and crappie. All he uses after he is done tying is head cement, so that is what I have been using to finish up my bucktails, is that gonna hold up? Should I go back over all of the jigs and hooks I tied and put nail polish or epoxy over them?

is nail polish waterproof? doesn't it eventually soften? Why not a good quality head cement..the big guys like Andrus

are not using epoxy, I can tell you that right now!

is nail polish waterproof? doesn't it eventually soften? Why not a good quality head cement..the big guys like Andrus

are not using epoxy, I can tell you that right now!

Why don't you tell us, IS nail polish water proof?

Does it soften?

According to all the guys on many lure making forums I go to, people that I know that use Hard as nails as a thread coating, it is not an issue. Don't know who this "big guy" is you are talking about, but the way it sounds if he taint using it, it must not work. :confused:

Myself, I use a Min Wax clear furniture sealer. I doubt this big guy you speak of uses that either, so it must not work also. I fish a lot off a pier in De. (Cape Henlopen) Rocks are a non issue there so your jigs don't get snagged and lost. I have used the same tandem bucktail rigs off and on over the course of several days, and guess what, my threads are still tight and true, coating still there. Couple hundred cast on them....easy. :shock:

I don't limit myself to what one or 2 people say. I keep an open mind and learn from many, I get my butt out and TEST what I learned to see it it really works or not, THEN I formulate an opinion. Like I said, I don't use Sally Hansens hard as nails, but I don't bust people that do. Some of these head cements cost a lot, people look for other options that also work but are cheaper, and can be bought close to home if there are no fly tying shops around.

By the way pink bottled zap a gap also works, but is expensive. Don't know if "the big guys" use it or not, but fact....it works also. :D

Right on !! I post items to show things which are cheaper than shop bought...In my post I gave optionson products & prices for each ones decisions...If you want a 99 cent glue instead of a head cement costing $4-5 bucks...Go ahead !Any thing pertaining to fly fishing has gone tru the roof, so when I find things a lot cheaper, then I post it...As far as nail polish holding up, God it's not the holy grail...its a fly or lure !! And if i spend too much time or monet on it then I probably won't fish it deep enough or properly to achieve what I'm after...I use wormtails on all my jigs & they effect the paint almost always..Quite a mess, so I always top coat my jigs, metals, & plugs with Etex epoxy to protect them..It stops the reaction of the plastic tails & paint as it did yrs ago with the tackle boxes till they fixed ..them...If you make your own metals & paint them, you'lll find they hold up much longer with epoxy also, unless you're always into rocks etc...By the way Etex is 40% off with coupons at Michaels crafts stores..And at $30 for a two part 16 oz bottles thats great....BUT ! if you want you can pay full price...Its your decission.... As it is I hit all the craft stores for anything I can use in my hobbies...And you should see meat xmas time with tinsels etc....Jim