Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Water spots on blank...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

After I fished a JK Fisher rod I have there were water spots, whitish in color, all along the length of the exposed areas and on the wraps. I've seen this before on wraps and I know there have been discussions here about why this happens. I also know that after a day or two of sitting in a dry, heated house, the spots disappear. I am guessing that the spots on the blank on this rod indicate that at some time the blank was coated. Is there any way of stopping these from appearing? Can the coating on the blank be removed? What type of finish would have been used on the blank that would get these spots? Was the blank made this way or was it done when it was wrapped / re-wrapped?

I would rather have a rod with a less glossy finish than have these spots every time it rains or the rod gets wet.

The rod was re-wrapped by Mike at M&Ds on the Cape ... well near the Cape. Any info and help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Without seeing it it's hard to say. I know JKF were notorius for the blank finish coming off. Ugly but will hurt nothing. It sounds like your blanks finish is lifting and perhaps even under the guides. Think about it... The epoxy's hold is only as good as the surface below so if the blanks finish is lifting the wraps/epoxy will lift. Moisture will get under but it might just be the clear lifting is creating a cloudy spotted look. Again.. without seeing it, It's a guess.

If what I say is happening the only worry would be the wraps coming loose if the epoxy was to break away. It's a long shot but crazy stuff happens!! I'm not a JKF fan but if there was one rod/blank I wish I had a thousand of it would be these... Freaking things are getting crazy money!!

Oh to answer your what the blank was coated with? brand new from the factory it would have a heat cured epoxy finish. The blanks were most likely dipped and baked. If it was redone.. Knowing what some people coat blanks with.. who knows!! If you can look very close to the blank does it have fine spider cracks in the finish?? The moisture is getting in somewhere!!

"Cloudy spotted look" is correct. The guides were all redone and Mike at M&D's has wrapped a load of rods and has been around a while. The guide wraps are solid so far and the spots seem to be on the surface of the wraps. The spots are all over the blank... but they go away after a while. I can live with it, particularly as this is an older rod that is not perfect but in nice solid shape. I just thought I'd check and see if the finish cold be easily removed and therefore eliminate the spotting on the black blank sections.

The cloudy spots are probably being caused by moisture wicking through the finish and onto the wraps. Once placed in a warm area the threads dry out and the finish clears up. The wicking of the moisture into the wraps is caused either by cracks in the finish or the finish lifting off the end of the guide wraps so the moisture seeps in. To fix the problem first throughly clean the rod. I like to thoroughly wash the rod down with dishwashing soap and warm water with a piece of turkish towel. Also use a old toothbrush to scrub around the guide feet and remove any gunk or crusted salt. Rinse the rod thoroughly and let it dry in a warm place for several days to dry out any cloudiness that formed.

The next step is to gently scuff the guide wraps with a fine finishing pad or steel wool. Make sure you scuff the area of the blank about 1/8 inch beyond the under wraps. Clean the areas with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels. Now apply two thin coats of finish making sure you work the finish into the tunnel under the guide feet and 1/8 inch beyond the edge of the under wraps. This will completely seal the wraps in epoxy. Make sure you apply two thin coats. Heavy coats will crack sooner and you will end up with the same problem.

Without seeing it it's hard to say. I know JKF were notorius for the blank finish coming off. Ugly but will hurt nothing. It sounds like your blanks finish is lifting and perhaps even under the guides. Think about it... The epoxy's hold is only as good as the surface below so if the blanks finish is lifting the wraps/epoxy will lift. Moisture will get under but it might just be the clear lifting is creating a cloudy spotted look. Again.. without seeing it, It's a guess.

If what I say is happening the only worry would be the wraps coming loose if the epoxy was to break away. It's a long shot but crazy stuff happens!! I'm not a JKF fan but if there was one rod/blank I wish I had a thousand of it would be these... Freaking things are getting crazy money!!

Oh to answer your what the blank was coated with? brand new from the factory it would have a heat cured epoxy finish. The blanks were most likely dipped and baked. If it was redone.. Knowing what some people coat blanks with.. who knows!! If you can look very close to the blank does it have fine spider cracks in the finish?? The moisture is getting in somewhere!!

Is there a way to remove the finish on the blank? Can it be scrubbed off with a Scotch pad or some other type of abrasive pad? Will that cause any problems? Rubbed off using a solvent? I can live with it the way it is, but it's fuggly so if it can be removed I think it would be an improvement. Not a big deal either way.

I am giving away all my trade secrets. Rub the entire blank down as well as the guide wraps with a fine finishing pad. Do it several times until all the loose flakes from the blank finish are gone. Next, clean the entire area several times with alcohol and paper towels until it's really clean. Mix up 2 cc. each of rod finish, I use Aftcote. Pour the mixed finish on to a piece of aluminum foil. Put on a disposable, powder free surgical glove and pour a lit bit of the mixed finish on to the palm area of the glove and spread it around by making a fist. Now apply the finish to the rod by rubbing your gloved hand up a down the blank. I do this on my lathe and spin the blank, however doing it manually will also work. Keep rubbing it in to the surface. You just want a very thin coat. When you are satisfied that everything is covered, wipe off your glove removing any remaining finish and carefully run your gloved hand down the blank one more time to remove any excess finish on the blank. Stand the rod up in a corner that dust free and let it dry overnight. Check it the next morning to determine if it needs a second coat. Let the finish cure for a couple of days before using it.

I have to ask.... can the finish be removed from the blank... and then left off... no finish? The glossy look is not my favorite. is there a down side... anyone done this? Thanks for all the info folks.

If you rub the rod down with a finishing pad you will just dull the finish. You can then apply several thin coats of any modern clear coat car polish and then buff it off with a soft cloth and your will have a matte finish.

Actually, wax was an option that i had considered, knowing nothing about what would work. Hmmm. Keep it simple may be the way to go.