Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spike77

what line works best?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Well, there's a few different questions in there.......what line works best depends on what it's going to be used for - can you describe what type of fishing you're doing, in what type of places, what weights you're casting, and what reel are you using?

I will be using a Daiwa Sealine 5500 bait feeder reel and will be fishing from shore at the upper Hudson river in New York State.I'll be fishing for Striped Bass and throwing 3 and 4oz sinkers with live herring.  Rocky bottom. Thanks

Rocks on river bottoms tend to be pretty smooth, so line abrasion shouldn't be the issue it is while bottom fishing bait in saltwater, so I would think you could probably fish braid, whose smaller diameter will also mean less drag from the flowing water compared to mono which will help keep your bait from drifting downstream and make detecting bites easier since there will be less bow in your line, and it will mean better casting distance and added line capacity (thus the ability to use stronger line). I'm sure others will chime in, but on this basis I'd be thinking 50 or 65 pound braid

Spike, i don't know if you have used superlines or braid in the past but if you haven't i would go with Fireline in the 20 or 30 pound range, which is as high as it get's with the fused, and both break at a hair over 50 pounds. If using braid use one in the higher tests for your application, somewhere in the 40 or 50 pound range should serve you well.

If using Mono i would spool up with around 20. Fireline imo handles the best on spinners because it has excellent manageability, just remember to NOT overfill and after a cast give the line a tug and manually close your bail. The Sealine 5500 has a worm gear oscillation system which is ideal for Braid and Fireline.

What do you consider the upper hudson? ... i fish the hudson I use 50# braid and may implement a long shock leader this year to help with abrasion.

I will be fishing up by Coxsackie and I have never used any line but mono. I used to fish for salmon all the time in Pulaski ny. But the dec ruined the fishing with all the rules and regulations. What a shame but now my friend git me started on Stripers and I had a lot of fun last year. I used his rig last year but now I'm getting my own together. I really appreciate all you guys chiming in. Thanks