Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Slick

Water Hag fly????? Ever heard of it?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever heard of a freshwater fly called a water hag? I searched here and a little on the web and am not finding anything. A flyfishing friend of mine told me about it. Said she had three of them but eventually lost them all and could never find replacements.

Naturally, I need to save the day for her and find a couple. A photo would be great if anyone has one.

Thanks.

Could she have meant "Water Hoglouse" Try googling that. I did and it is a water borne Lice also called a" Slater" I hope you find what you are looking for. Interesting new slant on trying to impress the Ladies.;)

Mike

I just ran across this post while trying to see if anyone sold water hag flies; I didn't know if they were a colloquial fly used by my extended family in the South for panfish--or if they were more universally known. I hven't seen these in 45 years or so. I will try to tie a couple close to what I recall and take a picture to send you, since I can't find any pre-tied. And even send you a few if you'd like. Just let me know.

Nice offers all around. If I might impose on behalf of the Forum, please post a picture here or in Fly Tying, and a bit of information as to the kind of water or circumstance for which it's well suited.

This in response to questions about a Water Hag to fly fish with. I used water hags a number of years when

a teenager. Think have the remains of one, can photo that and attach it in few days.  I know a fly fishing salesman

at Basspro in Broken Arrow Oklahoma that recently told me that he sometime ties them.

The one I have was tied by a World War I veteran when we met him at his fishing camp on Glover River in

the late 1950's.  I had to trade four of my good flies for one hag.

Am at work now, will send photo in few days.

WH

This in response to questions about a Water Hag to fly fish with. I used water hags a number of years when

a teenager. Think have the remains of one, can photo that and attach it in few days.  I know a fly fishing salesman

at Basspro in Broken Arrow Oklahoma that recently told me that he sometime ties them.

The one I have was tied by a World War I veteran when we met him at his fishing camp on Glover River in

the late 1950's.  I had to trade four of my good flies for one hag.

Am at work now, will send photo in few days.

WH

Thanks WH I'm curious to see what those look like. Mully, I'm wondering if it will be different from your photo.

RJ, the photo came from a new guy, Brians6738. He gets the credit. How's the snow by you? The weather head says we got 9.5" in Port Jefferson Station, but it doesn't look that bad to me.

We definitely need a better description.

New Guys: Remember to post a joke in this Forum. There is a distinctive bit of code on this Forum, left over from before the transition to the Huddler platform, that will cause your knots to fail if you don't post a joke promptly upon appearing. I post an annual reminder of this before tax time, April 15, but there's no reason to wait.

I'm a sucker for oldies but goodies.  Just to be sure, you guys are not talking about something like the FTD streamer "Sea Hag", right?  The posted pic look more like a slider. 

responding to inquiries RE a Water Hag fly, hope this is helpful. I have one remaining "hag", which is now about 53 years old, and have not used it in many years.  I traded 4 good flies for it to a WW I veteran who tied flies, including at his camp location on the Glover River in Se Oklahoma, where I met him.

I used it primarily for large pan fish known locally as "goggle eye". Occasionally caught large mouth bass on it. I plan on tying one in a couple months and will post pic of it. Four photos attached of my hag.

Tie on various hook size.   normally has 3 to 5 rubber legs tied cross ways to the body.1688783

It is somewhat dull and does not represent a hag in good condition.  I enjoy being a new member.  I will be changing my name to Okie Angler from Water Hag.  Thanks.

I offered to tie and post a reply regarding waterhags; meanwhile, I got sidetracked. I see that someone else posted pix of one. That's very similar to those I remember--so maybe we now have a consensus--of two))). I also did tie some, and here is a picture. It is pretty close. These are great for pan-fish on ponds and clear-water creeks and streams in the South. I learned of them in Arkansas some forty years ago. I got an email from Stripers that got me back to the thread.

This reply is to Makdenife--

It would be great if you would tie some water hags. I plan on it, but would be some time before I can. I am only now starting to tie.

I notice your mention of Arkansas. I live in SE Oklahoma.

I posted about 4 pics of the 53 year old hag, which have not used for years.  It was tied by a WW I vet at his camp site on Glover River in SE Oklahoma in about

Tom "Water Hag" Curtis

aka Okie Angler