Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MegaLodon_Hunter

computer question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i live in a 2 family apt and i think the family downstairs is using my internet since i have a wireless router. how do i know if this is true and what can i do to stop this. i was thinking maybe get a regular ethernet cable router but wires do look messy especially when guests are over. what should i do?

Yes, you need to turn on your wireless network security features (good idea even if your neighbor is not freeriding on your connection). Log on to your router, go to the wireless security menu or tab, turn on WPA, and create a password (make it a strong one). You'll need to set up all of your computers that run on the network to use the password. The other thing you can do is use MAC address control (you give you router the MAC ID numbers from the wireless cards for all the computers you want to allow on the network), which should screen out unauthorized use.

And post the make and model number of your router.

You need to access the routers control panel and check the wireless security setup.

You can also access logs that would tell you if anyone is using the connection.

Note that you must be connected to the router via cable to update any wireless network configurations.

Otherwise, unplug the router and reboot it.

1) Set a strong password for the router: mix of Upper case, Lower Case, and Number(s).

2) Disable SSID broadcast.

3) Enable the wireless security: my preference is WPA2-PSK-AES with a random key from GRC Passkey Generator (google it).

MAC address control is the way to go to stop people from getting on.

Adding the WPA2 helps to keep the data from prying "eyes".

First thing you have to do is make sure the router admin is PW protected. Most are always left as default and anyone can get in ( then lock you out) if that is the case then you will need to reset the router to factory settings and start fresh.

Let us know the make n model of the router and what happens when you type the address that Eagles Dare mentioned.

v.

hey guys sorry for the delay. im not on that computer right now but i checked and we have a password and are wpa2 protected. dont know why i cant seem to get on my network and sharing center. it says windows explorer is not working and then it says windows explorer is restarting..you think that indicates that downstairs has hacked into my comp? i got a comp whiz friend and he says its password protected so they cant go on our internet or see any of our files but he doesnt know why the network and sharing center is doing that and says it doesnt matter.

more than likely you have some bug or piece of garbage spyware.

Also, if you have Vista, there is a high frequency of bugs involving any and all microsoft software.