Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyott1106

bucktail paint

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

i want to order some bucktail jig heads and paint them and tie them myself. i was wondering what the easiest way to paint them is.  the paint never last longs anyways. or can i just leave them plain?

I use the protec powder paint and it's easy to use. It lasts about as long as anything else. I've tried putting clear nail polish on the front where the paint meets the sand but it didn't make much diff.

powder paint is the easiest way togo...You should bake the jigs on a rack in oven to cure harder,,,350 degrees at about 15-20 minutes.. The worm tails will melt the paint..real messy..Use a lite coat of epoxy & thats solved...If you're looking for great deals on paint, check out Harbor Freight stores..Believe its $4 or $3 on sale for 16 oz....Better than $5 for 2 oz ...Colors are white, red. black & a yellow thats more like peanut buttter...You can be the first on the beach with your JIF JIGS this spring....Jim :D

Agreed! Powder paint is best. If you are making jigs that are 1oz or more you can dip them into the powder as soon as you poor, if you're fast enough. The powder needs to be airated so you can dip the jig in deeper and not get clumps... What I usually do is fluff up the powder by sturing with a thin skewer every 4-5 dips. I generally get commercial grade powder that bakes at 350F. Other powders do bake at higher tempratures and are difficult to work with. Also if you bake the jig at higher temps you risk de- tempering your hook making it weak or brittle.

I also go with powder paint. However, if I am using the jigs around a lot of rocks and in current where I'll lose them pretty quickly, I'll often leave the heads unpainted.

Jigman

They also sell a automatic stirrer for the paint..A friend made one for me..It consist of a small air pump pushing air to the bottom of a cup with paint..As the air comes tru , it stirs the paint..Pretty easy to make...Jim

I have instructions with pictures on how to build a fluid bed if anyone is interested, I can send them to your e-mail. Total cost is probably $25 or there abouts. If you have a fish tank air pump sitting around, cheaper yet.

I have instructions with pictures on how to build a fluid bed if anyone is interested, I can send them to your e-mail. Total cost is probably $25 or there abouts. If you have a fish tank air pump sitting around, cheaper yet.

I just built a couple fluid beds myself. A 3" for larger jigs and a 2" for smaller stuff. Makes it so much easier to powder coat!