Gas Prices

Rate this topic

blake30615

Well let it get to $5.00 per gallon over the summer. It will be the final pushing point to have this country elect anybody but Obama. Particularly after the pipeline debacle. Hell, if Mickey Mouse runs against him, with $5.00 gas he would get elected.

It is all just politics and money making on the highest level. Average Joe is jolly well fooked. :mad:

It is what it is and it no longer matters.

If it hits $5 I am not driving or using my boat... I will bet that a lot of people will do this and in very short time the price will fall right back around 3.50. ;)

Um, nope. Supply and Demand. If there is demand (and there is more demand for the implied products of crude than EVER) then that demand will be serviced by the supply; Your supply. WORLD MARKET. You conserve, it gets sold to somebody else. Not like the old days where there were few 'demanders' that could PAY.

High price here to stay, it love you LONNNNNG time .

Find new way to make things go.......

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

to the OP, for my last job I was driving 50 miles, one way, not counting the driving I did once there...so I got rid of my new ford taurus for something smaller...

i have nothing bad to say about my commuter car- hyundia sonata...

get 30 mpg give or take.......

sure as hell aint a sexy car, but it does everything I need it to do...

still got my explorer for the beach and towing the boat :D

I rather like paying an extra $2 a gallon to some guyinvestment firm who bought futures with disposable cash income.

They should be rewarded, even if it cost me extra on everything that I purchase that needed to be transported by air sea or ground.

Eventually when I live in a cardboard box down by the river I can keep myself warm by lighting a small fire in my drinking water & cook a nice stray cat dinner at the same time

sweetheart

Anyone know about/own 1998 ish saturn sl. From what I read they get 24 mph city/ 36 mph city.

I have a 1996 Saturn SL2 love these cars. This is the second one I've owned. The first one I bought from a kid for 500.00. with 150,000 miles on it. Drove it every day to work and finally at 275.00 miles it was time to let it go. I sold it to a recycler for 290.00

I looked for almost 2 month for another one finally find one for 1800 with only 89,000 miles in mint condition. I have been driving it ever since. Both of mine were standards. I average 30 city and almost 40 highway.

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

I have a 1996 Saturn SL2 love these cars. This is the second one I've owned. The first one I bought from a kid for 500.00. with 150,000 miles on it. Drove it every day to work and finally at 275.00 miles it was time to let it go. I sold it to a recycler for 290.00

I looked for almost 2 month for another one finally find one for 1800 with only 89,000 miles in mint condition. I have been driving it ever since. Both of mine were standards. I average 30 city and almost 40 highway.

That's exactly what I'm looking at right now. 1998 saturn sl1 stick with 89k. Gets 36 mph hwy. The great thing about this car is, it has a timing chain vs. belt. Chains usually last the life of car, belts should be changed at 90k. That's a few hundred dollar saving right there.

The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake30615 View Post

I understand gas prices could approach 5 dollars this summer. I drive a Dodge Ram that gets 8 mph city/ 14 mph hwy. When I work in the NYC area my round trip gas cost is appox 23 dollars(Train is not an option). So I've decided to get a small commuter car that I guess would cut that bill at least in half. My question to my fellow SOL'ers is, which car out there do you think gets the best gas milage for the buck. Looking at car years 1997 to 2000.

Lets look at some math. You're current round trip fuel cost is 23 bucks a day. Assuming 3.50/gallon (a lowball, erring on the side of caution, benefitting the buy decision), that's 6.5 gallons a day usage, at lets call it 11mpg x 6.5 MPG = 72 mile round trip .

If Owe-bama really does drive our gas prices up to 5, that's 1.50 * 6.5 = 9.75 bucks additional a day , lets call it 10 bucks a day. 

If you were to get a pretty efficient but cheap car, you might expect 30 MPG on the high side. That would be 2.4 gallons a day x 5 bucks a gallon = 12 bucks a day, or a savings of 11 dollars a day. Not bad, assuming all else is equal. It's not, but work with me here. 

OK, so now you need to buy and register and insure a car, I'm going to make some wild-ass assumptions just to see if it comes close to a reasonable justification. 

I assume you'll keep the truck, so all those costs are fixed. registration, ownership, taxes, insurance, etc. 

Buy car $8,000/4 year life /200 work days per year = 10 bucks a day ownership cost

Registration, taxes, call it 200 a year (CHEAP!) adds another dollar a day

Insurance 1,000 a year adds another $5 a work day

Right there adds 16 bucks a day, and by my heavily cheezed math, you'd actually end up losing 6 bucks a day. Tweak the heck out of the numbers, you'd still be hard pressed to break even. 

I hope this helps your decision. If you have more solid numbers and want help running the calcs I did, lemme know. 

i'm convinced that obama is winning again.

I bet you a plug he loses to any Republican candidate except for Ron Paul........

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

100 miles on 4 ounces of water. The govt. was very interested in this, hmmmm. Now this video is 6 years old and I haven't heard a thing.

The Republicans are on the side of oil and the Democrats are on the side of corn, We don't have anyone on the side of water. It's no wonder we don't have any news on a cheep energy source.

Peace

Frank II --- If anyone needs me, I'll be in my MAN CAVE, rotating the laundry. - C.C.A. - American Littoral Society Tagger w/ 61 returns - Vietnam Veteran U. S. Army,  Grand Pa of 6