Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

"Your Daughter's ok, but"

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I get a call in my classroom from the office, telling me that they are putting my wife through on the line. That's bad news, as they never, ever, send calls through to a classroom.

Wife, "Hannah is ok, but..... (heart stops, stomach clenches) the Explorer is smashed into a telephone pole"

My invincible 17 year old drove my beloved beach buggy head on into a pole on our little dirt road at about 25mph. Both airbags deployed, front end crumpled right up the middle and the pole snapped at the base (it was rotten and had been braced already by a crew). She claims steering issues, but I call shenanigans and would guess cell phone. I'll be checking. No skid marks and she admits never even touching the brake pedal. I think she panicked when she started to go off the road, goosed the gas, and lost it.

Most importantly, she walked away without a scratch. She's at the ER getting checked out to be safe, as she's coughing from breathing in the powder from the airbag charge. Lots of tears, 3 hours of tow trucks, State Police, insurance calls, etc, before we went the 1/2 mile home. I made her stay for all of it.

Stuff can be replaced. Kids can't. It'll hurt to not have the vehicle I tow with, kayak with, etc., but it would hurt a hell of a lot more not to have my first born.

What year is the exploder? Doesn't look too bad. Windshield isn't broken, both doors work and the drivers side quarter panel doesn't look injured. They might fix that as opposed to totaling it.

Thanks for the good words. She's a good kid and ****e happens, but this one scared us both a bit. She's less than thrilled that she's going to have to pay the insurance increase, but that's the way the cell phone bounces.

What year is the exploder? Doesn't look too bad. Windshield isn't broken, both doors work and the drivers side quarter panel doesn't look injured. They might fix that as opposed to totaling it.

2004 with under 150k on it. Runs (ran) beautifully. I'm seriously effed if they total it, but I'd guess it's 50/50. Hood, grill, bumper, fog lights, radiator, front end work (my receiver is pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the driver's tire now). Whole beast was worth about 4k and they'll total if it gets close to that. I can't replace it with what they pay out. :( Goodbye beach buggy/tow vehicle and hello beat up 4 banger.

Was driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge last saturday night. Howling Cross Winds and snow falling and tractor trailers trying to keep in a lane, and I am passing a young girl in a camaro on the downside of the bridge driving with one hand and texting with the other...completely oblivious. Amazingly she was pretty much holding her lane but for the life of me I could not see how. I rode along side of here for a few seconds then against my better judgement laid on the horn. She freaked...screamed and then tossed the phone to roof and threw both white knuckle hands to the steering wheel in a complete panic.

It dawned on me that I just damn near caused an accident on the bridge, but hopefully she changed her panties and leaned a lesson - even the most skilled driver-texter is not immune to an ******* in a truck.

Glad your daughter is OK - my niece just rolled her jeep under similar questionable circumstances - she walked away as well.

Thanks for the good words. She's a good kid and ****e happens, but this one scared us both a bit. She's less than thrilled that she's going to have to pay the insurance increase, but that's the way the cell phone bounces.

2004 with under 150k on it. Runs (ran) beautifully. I'm seriously effed if they total it, but I'd guess it's 50/50. Hood, grill, bumper, fog lights, radiator, front end work (my receiver is pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the driver's tire now). Whole beast was worth about 4k and they'll total if it gets close to that. I can't replace it with what they pay out. :( Goodbye beach buggy/tow vehicle and hello beat up 4 banger.

yeah, don't think it could be fixed for under 4k but you never know. Maybe if you find a body shop that can get junkyard parts. But I forgot, you said both bags deployed. I think they are expensive.

I can sympathize with your daughter. I totaled my dad's car while he was in the hospital recovering from surgery when I was 16 or 17. :D

I can guarantee they will total it, both airbags deployed (you know how much it costs to replace air bags?) and all that damage...I did about the same to my 01 Silverado and the repairs totalled about 6500 bucks, didnt total it though as the truck was worth around 10..I wish they did though

Your heart must have stopped when you got the call... At least the safety features worked on the truck and she is fine.

It will work out for you. Good things happen to good people..