Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Cod rod blanks, glass, composite or graphite?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I'm curious what you guys like for ground-fish jigging blanks.

To give you my perspective, when I first started ground fishing, like many others, I started w/ the ugly stick (composite). Then I moved up to Lamiglas Tri-Flex, again composite but more of graphite. I was looking for an upgraded custom rod for shallow / light applications, e.g., Montauk now. It was suggested that I look at the Seeker Montauk Cod blank (which is composite but I think its got a good bit of glass). I've been reading a bit about cod rod blanks and it seems that many like glass, and some composite. I'm curious why glass as opposed to more graphite? I would think that graphite, although it can tend to be stiff (not necessarily a good thing), they are light and sensitive (very good things). I know that graphite can be more expensive & fragile (not good if you hook hard into bottom, especially w/ braid) but w/ some care & properly set drag it should be fine.

What are your preferances?

Thanks!

JD

Thanks Rusty.

As far as drag w/ braid I have always liked light drag. When cod shake their head w/ braid there's no give and cod can pull hook. W/ lite drag big head shakes pull drag but not hooks. Am I alone on this?

JD

Thanks Rusty.

As far as drag w/ braid I have always liked light drag. When cod shake their head w/ braid there's no give and cod can pull hook. W/ lite drag big head shakes pull drag but not hooks. Am I alone on this?

JD

Yes you are alone lol... I will assume you are fishing on fishark trips and if so, you want to use a glass rod as the forgiveness of the rod will compensate for the no drag and the rod will fight the fish not you. ;)

How is that confusing? You counter the no stretch of braid with the forgiving nature of glass...

I never ever use drag on any bottom dwellers. My largest cod is 38lbs, all it did was bulldog for 20 feet then pretty much weight and twirling with the occasional thump on the way up.

Wow Rusty, Nice cod. Bigger than my 20lb best. No drag could be particularly problematic when hooking into a halibut, porbegal, blue shark or if a tuna grabs your jig on the way down. Never had the pleasure of a haibut, porbbegal or a tuna but have seen it happen. Blue dogs yes, although once I figure out that's what it is I break them off intentionally.

I was more hoping for opinions on blank material preferances for ground fish jigging thanter than use of drag (although I did bring it up).

Thanks.

JD

When using braid you should be using at least a 50' (to 75') piece of 50# or 60 # mono as a topshot. That will be the forgiveness (stretch) you need instead of giving drag.

I usually have mine almost buttoned down.

For Montauk Codfishing, the Seeker Hercules Inshore Heavy is a great rod for jigging. It handles 8-12oz jigs no problem, and if you go Striped Bass jigging with 4-8oz jigs...its' an excellent rod for that as well. They come in 7, 8, and 9' models, and tehy havea stiff mod0fast bend to them. The blank is quite light (the 7'er is 7oz), and has more than enough power to handle any fish you will catch out there, and then some. Ifyou fish up North for Cod in shallow water under 250', the Heavy will also excel jigging for tha tapplication as well. This rod has a graphite feel to it compared to other composite rods, it is very easy to work a jig because itis so light and it really moves the jig when you swingthe rod. If oyu are looking for a softer moderate action kjigging rod, which a lot of guys are - this is not teh rod oyu want to use. This also makes an excellent light Tuna jigging rod, if ther are fish under 100#'s around, you can push up to about 20#s of drag with it, but as Rusty pointed out for bottom fishing just fish as heavy as you need to and this blank won't have a problem with it

The Seeker Montauk Super Cod is a very good bait rod fo rMOntauk, and makes an excellent Offshore Sea Bass rod if you're into that.. IT has a moderate action, similar ot glass inthe top half, but unlike other glass rods the MSC will shut off in front of the foregrip, a feature most guys reall ylike for this as well as Blackfishing (this is hte same blank as the Super Tog, just cut differntly). It will handle whatever weigh tyouneed it to, you just have ot know how ot modify the blank to get it to do what oyu want, I usually spend about an hour discussing what they guy wants to do, and then trimming the blank to suit their taste/applcication. This rod will not be good for up North Codfihsing.

Up north Cod - as stated by NHD, the CSB 909 is a can'tmiss. Great for bait or jigging, it's one of the most popular blanks for New England Cod (as well as othe rdeep drop fishing, like Tiles). This rod has a mod fast action, and it is a little bit heavy in weight, which imo doens't matter much once oyu have a heavy reel + a 16ozjig hanging off the tip.

A new rod I am ntrodcuing this year, which has not been fished YET, is teh Classic Cod. This is an all glass rod with a fast action, al the power you need, and a pretty thick outside diameter. Blank weighs about the same as the 909, honestly I've never seen a glass rod that bends like this. I just ordered a few more of these with a more moderate action, I look forward to seeing how these bend compared ot other glass & composite rods. The thing that guys liked about the Classic is tha thte blank only costs $107, compared to the 909 at $168 (new price for 2012).

There are other choices form othe rcompanies, I don't deal with them sinc eI am helping design blanks wiht Seeker. THe Lami CGBT series, the Calstar grafighters also make excellent rods for this type of fishing, especailly when you have one built by somoene who knows the fishery and knows how to modify the blank to get you wha tyou are looking for.

Yes it is, but it's a blank which his only available from me. Same as the Super Tog/Cod, and the same as the Porgasm (lmao) series that I just got the blanks in for. THose are similar to the Lami MB842F and 963M in 7, 7'6, and 8'. THese are all priced where guys can get a custom rod built and not break the bank doing so.

They are Inshore bottomfishing rods made from Glass, Fluke, Sea Bass & Porgy...thus the name. IT's funny but I don't think I'm gonna keep that name, although nobody would ever forget it.