Penn Sargus Baitcast

Belmo

What can the fine fellas at Penn tell us about this reel? It's been out for a few years, but I've seen very, very few comments or reviews on it.

I ask because I was able to pick up a couple new ones at a pretty good deal, and for a light saltwater / backbay reel, I think they seem pretty hard to beat: compact, light, good drags, good ergonomics, etc. (I haven't fished them yet, but in the hand they seem very good little reels). I think that the market has been ripe for good saltwater-suitable low-profile baitcasters (take a look at the stuff Daiwa just released, if you don't believe this), and I think that the Sargus could fit with this. Yet I don't hear anyone talking about them.

What's the deal with these reels?

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Good morning......Yes,they have been out for a few years now with some reviews to be found. We have seen some come through the service department and they seem to hold up really well. Anything that we've seen or heard about ,has always been enjoyed by the angler using it. The size of the reel is nice and also has the HT-100 drag system which has been around for many years in other Penn reels.Plus it has the IAR system and is braid friendly too.....At least in the service and parts departments and from what we've had in the way of feedback from anglers,we've haven't run across many negative comments about the reel.

Tom

Thanks for posting, Tom. I asked because I'm surprised, too - it seems like a great little reel. If I remember, I'll post back here after I see how it performs this spring in my favorite backbay haunts.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

I have one as well, but yet to see water. Does seem like a great reel though and can't wait to use it. Couple questions though, Why havent these reels been advertized or pushed more, as I have basically never seen a word on these? Also, are these to be discontinued? I see them being heavily discounted on a pure fishing website.

I looked at them long and hard also a few years ago but had a hard time seriously considering them for what then was my mostly freshwater use. Part of the problem was that they're heavier, there's only one model of each Sargus or Pursuit and they're typically more expensive (in some cases) than alot of the low profile reel competition. Weight is also a key factor especially in the freshwater sector; the Sargus is 9.5 oz. vs many competitors reels which are under 7 oz. typical to as low as 5.4 oz. now (Revo MGX, 2012).

Alot of people opt to buy spinning gear because of the variety of models and the range of prices to fit their needs and pocket book.

Tough arguments against the average Penn enthusiast looking for a reasonably priced, light weight low profile baitcaster, in a Penn model suited to the water conditions and species desired.

Tim