Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

Fish & Game Stole My Pic! What do I do?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Every year my buddies and I throw a massive blowout on the ice for Winnipesaukee Ice Fishing Derby weekend. It's three days of unsafe practises, interspersed with the occasional fish. Last year our crew made the Board in two categories: Untagged Rainbow Trout (6th Place) and Lake Trout (2nd place). I took a lot of pics, including this one of my buddy Craig with his winning laker:

[img=

It was a nice pic, and I showed it around. A week later the fishing derby emailed me and asked permission to use the shot on their web page. I let them.

So last friday I took off to the lake to fish the 2012 Winni derby and when I got there my friends said "Hey! You made us famous!"

I didn't know what they were talking about, so they told me that the pic I posted last year was all over the Internet, especially on NH Fish & Game. So I did a little digging...

This is the 2012 NH Fish & Game rulebook,

p><p>  <a href=[img=

Look familiar?

Now go to the official NH F&G website - guess what?

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3122080/width/600/height/276]

My pic is an ad to buy fishing licenses!

I never gave fish and game permission to use this pic and they never asked for it. I don't know how they found it. I'm simultaneously flattered and irked. What do you guys think I should do?

Oh, by the way - this is the pic from 2012 they would want to steal this year - I call it "pink Rainbow":

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3122084/width/600/height/520' alt='520'>

I'm guessing that without a copyright watermark on your photo and the fact that it was published in the public domain (Internet), there's not much that you can do. I would contact them and ask that they acknowledge the photographer.