Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dipper

Shimano Albrid Coming To US: Looking For More Info

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

With the impending arrival of the Shimano Albrid (specs below) to the U.S. market, I'm looking for more info on this reel from those that own, or have had a chance to use, one. I've been able to find some information about the Albrid, but I have a few questions or concerns:

1) Strength: The handle (I read.) is not threaded directly into the main gear. Is there excessive play in the handle or rotor? Does the Albrid have enough backbone to consistently handle large fish caught in the surf?

2) Maintenance: How is the Albrid to self-service? Is it a complicated design? Is there an endless aggregation of parts(i.e., the Stella)? Or is it fairly straight-forward (like the Saragosa)?

3) Reliability: How dependable is the reel? Does it break-down often?

4) Waterproof?: When they say "waterproof" I'm assuming it's just the drag....?

5) Cold Forged Gear: Is that the same as the Paladin gear?

6) CI4: What can you tell me about the strength of this material?

I'm thinking about picking one up to match with my 10.5 Mojo Surf 3/4oz - 4oz, mostly for plugging 1oz -3oz lures. I'm also considering a Saragosa 8K, but I'm hoping to get a little more casting distance form the Albrid. If anyone has any opinions between the Albrid and the "propulsion spool lip design" of the Saragosa as far as casting distance goes, I'd like to hear those as well. If you could tell me how long you've owned one and what you use it for, that would be great. Any info that you have on the reel would be appreciated.

- Thanks

Specifications

CI4Rotor

Power Roller.

5 ball bearings + 1 roller bearing.

Aluminium Machined Spool

Super Stopper II

S A-RB

Cold-Forged Gear

Biogrip ergonomics.

AERO WRAP

Water Proof

Shower Cleaning OK

Spare Spool

Max Drag (Kg): 12.0 Kg

Made in Malaysia

With Drag System

Modle 3Type

Gear Ratio 4.3

Max Drag 12

Weight(g) 480

Spool size(mm /mm) 62.0/30

Line capacity Nylon (No.-m) 3Type 2-300,3-200,4-150

Spare Spool: 5Type 4-250,5-200,6-170

Rev/cm 84

Hmmm.....maybe not?

I contacted Shimano looking for more detailed information about the Albrid that wasn't in Japanese. Their response was "they have no information about the reel" :huh:, and that "Shimano has no plans on bringing it to the U.S.", and "take a look at the Stella." Although I've received inaccurate information from Shimano before, now I'm wondering if the "Albrid to USA" should be filed into the wishful thinking category.

the one thing that has me curious about this reel is the weight. if it really is 16 oz you could put together a set up that would weigh the same as some reels.

Kinda like a legend and a vs150...

Kinda like a legend and a vs150...

Yes. There are a lot of things to consider when picking up a reel. Vs 150 could be another option for me. Seems like this reel would out cast the vs 150 but the vs would hold up better.

I have a century which is comparable weight to the legend, I didn't look at the 150 just the 200. I am going to talk to some people at the fling and hopefully make up my mind some time soon.

I have two Albrids and a Spin Joy which is the same reel but without the CI4 frame and rotor.

[img=

I have had them since early June of 2010, probably the first ones in the USA as I had standing pre-orders in a half dozen tackle shops in Japan when they came out and had to wait till the third replenishment by Shimano before they would fill any orders to the USA.

They have been fished hard and have given me good, trouble-free service. I have never completely dunked them but they certainly got wet being out on the bars.

They are a fantastic casting reel and I experienced no trouble with bass to the mid-thirties and blues to 17lbs.

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3143680/width/600/height/309' alt='309'>

I fish very high drag pressures with 30lb Whiplash and have never felt insecure in the reel's stability or structural integrity.

I have no idea if they are coming here. I do know that the price has not changed in Yen since I bought five reels in 6/10 but buying them now would cost me over $150 more.

Yay Dollar!

With the impending arrival of the Shimano Albrid (specs below) to the U.S. market, I'm looking for more info on this reel from those that own, or have had a chance to use, one. I've been able to find some information about the Albrid, but I have a few questions or concerns:

1) Strength: The handle (I read.) is not threaded directly into the main gear. Is there excessive play in the handle or rotor? Does the Albrid have enough backbone to consistently handle large fish caught in the surf?

2) Maintenance: How is the Albrid to self-service? Is it a complicated design? Is there an endless aggregation of parts(i.e., the Stella)? Or is it fairly straight-forward (like the Saragosa)?

3) Reliability: How dependable is the reel? Does it break-down often?

4) Waterproof?: When they say "waterproof" I'm assuming it's just the drag....?

5) Cold Forged Gear: Is that the same as the Paladin gear?

6) CI4: What can you tell me about the strength of this material?

I'm thinking about picking one up to match with my 10.5 Mojo Surf 3/4oz - 4oz, mostly for plugging 1oz -3oz lures. I'm also considering a Saragosa 8K, but I'm hoping to get a little more casting distance form the Albrid. If anyone has any opinions between the Albrid and the "propulsion spool lip design" of the Saragosa as far as casting distance goes, I'd like to hear those as well. If you could tell me how long you've owned one and what you use it for, that would be great. Any info that you have on the reel would be appreciated.

1. I put a little dab of blue loctite and the loosing up stopped. It only happened when I would work a pencil popper. The screw would get a little loose, after loctite it hasnt been a issue. Plenty of backbone to handle a large fish.

2.I am not a expert in reel maintenance but I broke it down somewhat and was able to put it all back together. There is a few areas I wouldn't want to touch.

3. no issues been working good for me.

4. I wouldn't call it waterproof. it can take some splashing but I wouldnt dunk it imo.

5. not sure but the cold forged gear is plenty to horse a big fish in.

6. ci4 is very strong very similar i believe to the material they use on the new daiwa saltigas, just a diff name.

Now let me point out some things I like and dont.

Like: I like the fact that it has a manual bail already. I have this reel paired up to a 3/4 oz 4oz Mojo and this combo feels very light, very easy to carry and making numerous cast all day long. I like the fact that it comes with a spare spool and you can purchase the other sizes as well. I have a Type 3 (180 yards of 30lb) Type 5 ( 200 yards of 40lb) and a Type 8 (300 yards of 50lb) I often bring a spare spool with me in case I need more distance but don't want to change lure weight. Very smooth retrieve, almost effortless.

Dislike: I wish it had more gearing, although out of all the long spool reels out there, it has one of the highest gear ratios. Maybe due to the design it is something they cant do. It is not bad honestly, I have figured out what my retrieve speed needs to be now.

Here are some pictures and videos, I had Rich at RH Custom Rods upgrade the handle for me. When it comes to size of the reel its about the size of a 8000/10000 Stella but at 16oz. I believe the Stella is 23oz. I upgraded my drag washers to carbontex with cal grease and once I hook a fish, I own it. :D

If you are going to buy a new one get a type 5, comes with a type 8 spare spool. If you want to get the type 3 spool just buy it, its like 50 bucks. Also make sure you get a Power Aero, not a Super Aero. The Super Aero looks similar but has no drag. So if you purchase one get the Power Aero.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3205423/width/600/height/450]

Reelinrod and norcalkat, thank you for the detailed responses. :th:

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the casting distance capabilities between the Albrid and other Shimano reels with the "propulsion spool, titanium lip design." Have you ever had a chance to compare the two, or any other reels with standard spool designs? It seems to be a matter of debate among some anglers whether these long, tapered spools really give you significantly longer casting distance, with all other things being equal.

Any thoughts on that?

Reelinrod and norcalkat, thank you for the detailed responses. :th:

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the casting distance capabilities between the Albrid and other Shimano reels with the "propulsion spool, titanium lip design." Have you ever had a chance to compare the two, or any other reels with standard spool designs? It seems to be a matter of debate among some anglers whether these long, tapered spools really give you significantly longer casting distance, with all other things being equal.

Any thoughts on that?

Among other Shimano reels I own with the line performance management system, I also own the BullsEye XT (9120) with the AR-C spool, European and Japanese domestic markets equivalent of the LPM system.........Reel manufacturing companies seem to take pride in keeping their customers in the dark with all the equivalent acronyms and gimmicks............Although I do not consider the LPM system (AR-C spool) a gimmick. Personally, I'm convinced the spool shape (not talking just about the long spool stroke) along with the superior line lay does aid with casting distance......and not trying to convince anyone else of same. It's the AR-C that's one of the reasons I chose the BullsEye over the Albrid.....although the Albrid is a fine reel with a slight weight advantage over the Bulleye's.

I don't have the Shimano Albrid, but I do own the Shimano Ultegra 4500 xsb which is the metal version (u.k.) of the Albrid, and I have to say it's been good to me so far. I haven't tackled any monster Blues Like Rod has but it's stood up through some hard fishing.

On another note the Bulls Eye xt (I own the 9080) and the Albrid are two different animals. In my opinion the Bulls Eye should be grouped with the Aero Techinum, Basis, Power Aero, Spin Power, etc..... The Albrid is a referred to as a "Mini Pit"....

I don't have the Shimano Albrid, but I do own the Shimano Ultegra 4500 xsb which is the metal version (u.k.) of the Albrid, and I have to say it's been good to me so far. I haven't tackled any monster Blues Like Rod has but it's stood up through some hard fishing.

On another note the Bulls Eye xt (I own the 9080) and the Albrid are two different animals. In my opinion the Bulls Eye should be grouped with the Aero Techinum, Basis, Power Aero, Spin Power, etc..... The Albrid is a referred to as a "Mini Pit"....

I have to disagree a little on your grouping of these reels. All the reels you have mentioned are made for extra distance. There are two different theories on which spool shape is better for extra distance. First the taller spool that is not that wide which would be the Basia, Albrid and the Power Aero and Spin Power which I believe has similar shaped spools to the Albrid. Second the wide spool that is not as tall which would include the Aero Technium, the Bulls Eye and the old version Emblem Pro. I have heard almost equal support for each spool shape as far as which will give more distance. I personally like the wider spool models but I am still working on which I think is better for the greatest distance.