Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaotico

Any ideas on what would be a good conventional reel to use for the kayak

62 posts in this topic

I have been using a spinner for all my fishing, but I have heard a conventional is better to use from a boat or kayak, can anyone point me to a good starting reel? and what advantages it has over the spinner

Honestly Im not sure why a conventional would be any better to use in a kayak.  Actually I prefer a spinning reel out of the Kayak.

But if your looking for a good baitcast type reel...I would suggest a ABU Garcia 5500 or 6500 depending on your target species.

i use a abu 6500 with the power handle on a 7ft rainshadow rod, spiral wrapped, my preferred setup. spiralwrapped is the only way to go when using a conventional reel, huge difference :-}

how anyone can bottom fish with a spinning reel is beyond my :)

Works fine.

I do prefer being able to hit a button though and let more line out to recontact the bottom. The button on the Abu's will sometimes hang up and be really hard to push when you have any type of weight on the line. That's my signal that it's time for a reel cleaning. ;) There is one spot to lube on the Abu which makes this part function a lot smoother. A nice little dab there helps a lot.

Reel choices are many

Abu 6500

Penn 146 Squidder

Penn 250 Surfmaster Jr

The new Penn Fathom looks like it could be a winner

I picked up an avet sx recently and static magged it. I've only used it on a couple occasions but the last time i used it a few weeks ago i caught a ton of fish on it up to about 34". I was very pleased with it. Drag felt nice and the reel just has that solid feeling. No instant-anti reverse though. I may pick up another one with the factory magnetic casting control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKay View Post

Works fine.

I do prefer being able to hit a button though and let more line out to recontact the bottom. The button on the Abu's will sometimes hang up and be really hard to push when you have any type of weight on the line. That's my signal that it's time for a reel cleaning. wink.gif There is one spot to lube on the Abu which makes this part function a lot smoother. A nice little dab there helps a lot.

before pressing the button take the tension off the spool with your thumb.  then press the button.  works for me doing it this way. 

my conv of choice out on the yak is a 5501 for out front and a 4601 for anything light in the back or lighter stuff out front 

before pressing the button take the tension off the spool with your thumb.  then press the button.  works for me doing it this way. 

Yup, that's what I've been doing. It makes a big difference though cleaning and lubing that one little sliding part inside. Makes that little button infinitely easier to push!

According to what species you are fishing for. Most of my fishing is casting plugs so I opted for an Ambassadeur Record 60HC (HIgh capacity) I worked for Berkley and, at the time, the Record series was the top of their line. Mine is on a 5-1/2 foot Spidercast baitcaster with MH action. The reel is loaded with 20# Fireline. I've caught Wahoo, small Yellowfins, Blackfins, Skipjack Tuna, False albacore, Cuberra Snapper to 60# plus, 75# Amberjacks, big Cobia, and several Tarpon in the 150# class. This reel is 6 years old and still works great. These days, most of my fishing is from my little Malibu Mini-x.

If a 200# plus Tarpon swam by, I'd cast at him and plan to kick his butt. The Ambassadeur Record series all have a super drag.

BTW, lots of guys opt for long rods for yak fishing but the shorter rods allow me to handle the fish alongside a lot easier. The little Mini-X spins on a dime so I don't worry about passing the rod tip around the bow if a fish dives under me.

With the Record 60 and Berkley Fireline, you have the line capacity to handle White Marlin and Sailfish.

When paddling around in my yak, I really prefer the conventionals. Part of it is they come out of my preferred rod holders faster, have louder clickers, and I can adjust the amount of line I have out easier on the fly. I currently paddle troll with a Shimano Calcutta 400b, complete with power handle and Carbontex drag. I haven't tried my Abu 65000 fom my yak yet, but I'll let you know how well it works next spring. I don't like the drag on it nearly as much, even after an upgrade.

i picked up a sweet deal on a calcutta 400b and a luna 253.. havent gotten to use the both but they feel great. exp the luna... i doubt they will be as easy to service myself but they wont wear as quick... also have a newell 220.. simple/light/winch.