Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

The "game manager" tag

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I hate that condescending name. I just hate it.

Chad Pennington, now, he's a guy who got that a lot. A good "game manager," meaning "a second-rate athlete but a nice guy." In the football/QB slot it usually means a so-so arm.

Submitted for your consideration: a good game manager will beat a strong arm who can't manage a game, or who doesn't have the respect of his teammates. (Paging Ryan Leaf, paging Ryan Leaf.) If you compared the ten best throws Joe Montana made in his life, with the hundred best throws made by John Elway, say, or maybe Peyton Manning, I doubt that Montana's best throw compares with #100 for either Elway or Peyton Manning. Who has more rings?

Pennington did not have a cannon arm. Management didn't like him enough to buy him the offensive line they got for Brett Farve, so Farve got to look better, since Pennington spent his last year as a Jet getting squashed. Yet the Jets couldn't find a backup or competitor for him who could take his space in training camp or pre-season, and it wasn't for lack of trying. They wanted to get rid of him, yet, they couldn't quite do it until they let him get killed, and the fundamental reason is that he had his teammates' respect and affection and he ran a really, really good offense. (This treatment of a good guy is why I am not a Jet fan. I don't mind Ryan's mouth, it's the ownership's treatment of Pennington that has me p.o.'ed long term.)

Just venting. :mad:

I feel much better already. :D

I like Pennington as much as anyone (loves to fish, first thing he did with his signing bonus was buy a marina) but after the second shoulder surgery he no longer could throw even a little bit down field or outside the numbers at all

Kinda need to be able to do that or they just stack the box and it's game over.