Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jordan77203

Reel recommendations

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I plan on getting into heavy surf fishing and possibly wet suiting . Just purchased a St Croix Legend 10ft surf rod and am looking for a reel. I have been advised Van Staal, or Zeebaas. Any other advice.

If money is no object, your right on course. If money is a factor, I'd make sure wet suit fishing is something you'll both enjoy and participate in often. VS's and Z's are almost a necessity when dunking reels, but if your not dunking they can be avoided. Not sure where your located or where you plan on skishing, but there are places where its very popular and other places where it doesn't exist. I wish you luck.

Jordan:

If you are going swimming with your heavy surf outfit or dunking it regularly then I believe you have two choices . Van Staal or Zee Baas.

These are the mercedes of waterproof designs far and above the rest, hands down for this pourpose.

I am only going to give you my opinion on having owned both and fished both. They are both fantastic reel designs .

The Van Stall is very light, has a good sealed drag system however once you buy one reel size you are limited to it . You cannot convert it

to a bigger or smaller size. Self service is limited to capable persons.

ZeeBaas is heavy ! It is built like a tank... the major plusses are its outstanding drag capability , the reel can be coverted up or down in size

though can be costly but it does give you the option and it is the easiest self service design of the two sealed reel designs.

I am one picky SOB so keep that in mind. I loved my Van Staals when I owned them ....I love my ZeeBaas reels better !

Good luck with either you purchase .....and tight lines !

Jordan:

If you are going swimming with your heavy surf outfit or dunking it regularly then I believe you have two choices . Van Staal or Zee Baas.

These are the mercedes of waterproof designs far and above the rest, hands down for this pourpose.

I am only going to give you my opinion on having owned both and fished both. They are both fantastic reel designs .

The Van Stall is very light, has a good sealed drag system however once you buy one reel size you are limited to it . You cannot convert it

to a bigger or smaller size. Self service is limited to capable persons.

ZeeBaas is heavy ! It is built like a tank... the major plusses are its outstanding drag capability , the reel can be coverted up or down in size

though can be costly but it does give you the option and it is the easiest self service design of the two sealed reel designs.

I am one picky SOB so keep that in mind. I loved my Van Staals when I owned them ....I love my ZeeBaas reels better !

Good luck with either you purchase .....and tight lines !

the zeebaas is only heavy if you compare it to a vs 150. otherwise its basically the same as a 200

i personally love van staal...its so tough to compare man...either way your getting the best reel for what you want...go to a store try both out and see what you like better...your most likely going to get bias opinions...im going to recommend VS or ZB becuase i like it better...go out for yourself and see what you like better...you have narrowed it down to two reels...go feel what you like better...either way, you picked the right two and neither will let you down

I agree with going to see and test then at the tackle store !

There is no substitute for handling the product.

There are several shops around that handle the Staals... I don't know many that will tear down a brand new Staal though .

Zee is a little tougher. I would highly suggest to make a trip to CT if you are local and you can go see the Zs for yourself ! You can see every size and every model and even see them assembled !

Call and I am sure Ron can help you with a appointment ....no matter your decision you will be able to see the precision and end product . You can see the whole teardown too if you ask !

Kinda tough to track down Capt Craig ! He is pretty busy.....

I think you will really enjoy meeting the staff and there are great lunch places very near making the day perfect ..

Just another option to pass along .