DieHard Marine battery

Rate this topic

Tfisher

You should be able to answer that question yourself, if you do your homework. If you know the amps that the motor draws at the speed your most likely to use it along with Reserve Capacity of the battery you should be able to calculate how many hours of use you'll get . 

If you can't do that, put those numbers up here and we'll tell you. 

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

okay - here is the trolling motor info:

Minn Kota Riptide 45/SC/T - volts 12 - multiple 5 speed

Riptide™ saltwater motors feature seven-layer, saltwater-corrosion protection, composite shafts and Weedless Wedge™ 2 props. Hand-control models include Tilt Twist Tillers™ that extend 6" and tilt up to 45°. Fully encapsulated electronics. One-handed stowing system. Corrosion-attracting sacrificial zinc anode. Heat-resistant, cool-running drive system. Quick-lock cam for fast, easy depth adjustments. Adjustable steering tension collar. Push-to-test battery gauge.

DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV Battery, Group Size 27M

With 180 minutes reserve capacity and 575 cold cranking amps, this battery from DieHard provides plenty of power for your RVs, trolling motors, marine accessories and starting needs. Its dual terminal design allows for multiple connections. Group Size 27M.

any cliff notes would really be appreciated

Professional Novice

Reserve capacity is the number of minutes a battery can maintain a useful voltage under a 25 ampere discharge. The higher the minute rating, the greater the battery's ability to run your trolling motor. 

Based on your battery specs, it would power something that consumed 25 amps for ~ 3 hours. 

But, until you post what your motor uses, you won't know. The stuff you posted about the motor doesn't tell us that. The amp consumption on the motor is analogous to MPG for a car - the harder you drive along with the size of the engine, the more fuel you'll use. 

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

Call Minn Kota to find out the amperage draw. Just based on relatively similar models, and the formulas for calculating HP out of a thrust measurement, then convertin HP to amperage, I am going to say around 20 amps. Based on a 20 amp draw, you should get maybe 4 hours. Thats at full tilt. If you bring that down, you will likely be getting more hours of use. You also need to take into account, running with/against tides, or with/against winds in calculating how long you have. Now that is also 4 hours to DEAD. I would never want to run dead, and I would want a reserve, in case wind kicks up and i have to fight it, or the like.

I would like 1.5x the required time in a battery.

Just as a quick reference to battery performance, I wouldn't buy any battery with the label marine on it. There are only 2 things that makes it marine. Where you buy it, and the label on it. You would be MUCH better off getting a TRUE deep cycle, like a tractor/farm/ambulance/golf cart battery, than you would buying anything with RV or Marine on it. They are all the same, just different stickers on them. There are what is called "marine batteries" which are technically an "in-between" battery, between cranking and deep cycle, this will not help you. The actual weight of the battery will say a lot for its life in terms of years of use. The heavier the battery, the better it will stand up to years of use. I buy Napa Deep Cycles for my boats, usually get 7-8 years out of them, no problem, and they never get charged except by the motor(never charged by a charger), don't come off for the winter, and cost only about $100, rather than the comparitive with a marine label on it costing $200.