Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i07nyc

thinking of buying a jeep wagoneer

9 posts in this topic

i was thinking about trading in my crv for a truck but with gas prices going up i'm gonna keep mine and buy a dedicated fishing truck. i was thinking about a jeep wagoneer. i can get one cheap and they are pretty cool. i'd like to know how well they handle on the beach and any problems people have had with them?

i will check for the rust. as for gas mileage i'm not driving too far (less than 10 miles) and only about once a week so i dont think that will be too much a problem.

yeah i was looking at a 1989

That's what i thought. I had 3 of those Waggy's..best vehicles I've ever driven on the beach, hands down. Like mentioned above, they can become rust buckets. The areas of concern are the floorboards (I had new ones welded in on all 3 of mine) and especially the frame in the area around the gas tank. It can actually rust right thu and break. There are kits available that can be welded in to repair that. Also, the tracks on the rear window, along with the bottom of the tailgate itself have a tendency to rot right out. Other areas of concern are the nylon gears for the power windows. One the bright side, the axles and transfer case are pretty much bullet-proof. The front and rear axles are Dana's and the transfer case is made by New Process. They are gas guzzlers....barely above 10 mpg...with a tailwind. Check the areas for rust before you plunk down any money....and good luck if you purchase. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Ken

thanks for the input. i'm just using this as a strictly fishing vehicle. body rust i dont care too much about, besides i have a friend that does autobody. the frame on the other hand is good to know about. it sounds like it could be a costly pia repair.