Salt Striker117

What's the Best Spinning Reel EVER?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

The question is too vague to answer. So many reels for different applications.

There are reels much more expensive than the Saltiga. Expensive does not always mean the best either. You need to change the parameters of your question.

okay then, what is the best brand?

Still too vague. What application? (surf/pier/boat, dunking/swimming, rod used, type of fish you are targeting, line weight, distance casting, bail/bailless, ease of service, price you are willing to spend, etc...) You need to be more specific.

Example - Best reel for snappers in mid/late summer is a Kmart spinner. Best reel for dunking/swimming is VS or ZB.

Keep in mind, you will get a myriad of different answers, everyone has their personal preference as to what is "subjectively" the best.

Same as "what is the best car". Some people will say a Mercedes, others will say Bentley, and some will just say Ford because it gets them to work and is cheap. What ever works for YOU is the best. I swore by Penn until I was able to afford a VS and a ZB. Now I think those are the best. Why?, because they suit me to my type of fishing.

i think it is the Saltiga® Spinning reel from Daiwa. it is also the most expensive spinning reel i have ever seen, coming in at over 1,000 dollars. what i wouldn't give for one of those.

have you ever used it?

i have forty year old penn SS550....SS650 .....just a little grease and oil and they keep going....no lie...billions of fish were caught on these...or i'm lying...100 million a bearing finally went on the 550..but fact being you can....thats what makes the best reel...thats just what i think

i have forty year old penn SS550....SS650 .....just a little grease and oil and they keep going....no lie...billions of fish were caught on these...or i'm lying...100 million a bearing finally went on the 550..but fact being you can....thats what makes the best reel...thats just what i think

I won't question that you've caught many fish on those reels, but seriously. Billions? 100 million? :kook: Penn introduced the first Skirted Spool series 750SS in 1977 (that's less than 40 years ago according to my math)

as a brand penn is the best

Penn WAS the best. I don't think we can say that anymore, although I'm hoping we can say it again in the future.

Considering the context, this is a surf fishing site and the reels are going to get dunked in sandy waves, here's my short list:

ZB

VS

Crack 300

Penn Spinfisher 550 SS with manual pickup

Mitchell 396 pum

It may deserve a spot on the list but since I've no experience at all with the Penn Torque I had to leave it off.

Different reels for different application,

For me cabos are my go to for tarpon,snook,Cobia permit etc.

Vs for surf caught fish.or swimming.

My avets for bottom or jig fishing.

My saltist for the northern jettys,whilte I like my Stellas for down south jettys.

Just my personal list.I like a bunch of reels like lures never just one.:D

Depends on when the question is asked as another might be on the drawing board today, but not in production, yet. SS117 all you have 'to give for one of them' is the asking price!, but from the nature of your comment, so far you won't or haven't. Keep dreaming!!

Hopefully Penn brings back the z series. Still makes is all metal, drills it, seals it, and sells it for less than 400 bucks. Winner winner chicken dinner Penn.

Elvis will come back before Penn does that. I said it when AJ started that topic 3-4 years ago, and I stand by it.